Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala Netbook Remix

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Darryl, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Darryl

lazy_hoor

Anyone care to share any comparisons with Crunchbang? I was using NBR 9.04 but changed to Crunchbang because NBR was too slow for my liking. It was slow to boot, watching any kind of online video was impossible and I couldn't play tunes on VLC without them stuttering. I love how quick Cruchbang is but I'm not finding it as user friendly as Ubuntu. Swings and roundabouts?

lazy_hoor, Nov 20, 2009
  2. Darryl

finnbakk

Agree: Crunchbang worked faster, much faster than Ubuntu UNR on my AAO 110 (512 MB Ram and SSD), but has a primitive GUI using Openbox. Also Kuki runs faster than UNR and oob. Now I see on their web site that the developer(s) have taken a break for god-knows-how long time.
    So I have changed to the Fedora 11 LXDE spin, the very best working OS on my AAO so far. Fast, smooth and as good as everything working oob. Stabile. Nice. Userfriendly.
    I have to add. I also have bad experiance with latest, Ubuntu 9.10, as networking (Samba) and printing (Cups) is in a mess and doesn't work. There have been uopdate(s) since the 9.10 release, but still unable to print via network. So I installed the new Fedora 12 (Gnome desktop) on my ordinary laptop - a distro "Made like a gun - Runs like a bullet" :)

finnbakk, Nov 20, 2009
  3. Darryl

armitage shanks

Just add pciehp.pcuehp_force=1 to the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst. If you're using grub2, you should be able to add this as a kernel parameter via the setup program

How do you do that please - I already have UBR 9.10 installed?
    Thanks in advance.

armitage shanks, Jan 17, 2010
  4. Darryl

Ceno

Edit /etc/defaults/grub using for example

Code:
    gedit /etc/defaults/grub
    and then edit it like this (it's one of the first lines of the file)

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pciehp.pciehp_force=1 elevator=deadline enable_mtrr_cleanup"
    Then, run

Code:
    update-grub
    And you're all set

Ceno, Feb 1, 2010
  5. Darryl

NextMissingLink

OK sorry Koala,
    gnome-power-manager can be configured :-
    1. in system->preferences->power manager * remember to click on 'Make Default' *
    2. press keys alt-f2 , type gconf-editor , select apps/gnome-power-manager/buttons etc.
    3. open a terminal and look in ~/.gconf/apps/gnome-power-manager.

NextMissingLink, Mar 1, 2010
  6. Darryl

seth556

I just got the netbook remix since I could never get the Windows drivers to work. I must say that the remix is awesome, everything worked out of the box and installed very quickly. Definitely recommended to others.

Does anyone know how to make it require a password when it is suspended?

seth556, Mar 5, 2010
  7. Darryl

GlenMH

I think if you tick the box "lock screen when under screen saver" in the screensaver options then it will do this.

I can't remember what I altered to set it up!

G

GlenMH, Mar 6, 2010
  8. Darryl

simbeb

After being 'forced' to use Windows for several months due to a Linux incompatibility issue with my BT/wifi card, I have started to use UNR 9.10. I expected a lot of improvements all the little glitches from 9.04 sorted, and never to have to think of going back to Windows again. In fact, what I discover is even more problems. Here is a list of the issues encountered:

-'suspend' does not work without unplugging the left-hand-side sd card first.
    -'hibernate' just doesn't work
    -right-hand side card slot does not operate (unless, I think, the card is already in the slot at bootup)
    -permission denied to move files around from FAT32 partitions to the home folder
    -the screen resolution in the webcam (using Cheese)is completely silly : it is extremely narrow and squashed
    -Bluetooth will or will not start on startup depending on its mood (if not, I have to pop the dongle out and in again, and even that doesn't always work)

The official Ubuntu-AspireOne support page seems to be solving a lot fewer issues than it did for 9.04
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

So if you know the fixes for any of these issues, please let me know ;)

cheers

simbeb, Apr 12, 2010
Ask a Question