Ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by kinmel, Oct 30, 2009.

1. kinmel

kinmel

Yesterday saw the release of the Ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix.

Once the O.S. has been transferred to a bootable USB stick it is possible to test it as a Live CD on the Aspire One and then fully install it when happy.

On my Aspire One D150 with the 8Gb SSD, the install required no extra tweaks, or drivers, and went on without a hitch.

At first start up after the install all of the hardware was fully functional; an excellent effort by the Ubuntu Community

kinmel, Oct 30, 2009
  2. kinmel

Grim Squeaker

How's battery life ? I have the original One with 3 cell battery and Linpus; which I kept because Linpus allows over 2 hours working time while the previous Ubuntu drained the battery after 1,5...

Grim Squeaker, Oct 30, 2009
  3. kinmel

greenfrog

I had the same results with my D150 installing to the HD.

Everything works.

Now if I could find a webcam recorder that would record motion and sound I would be happy?

greenfrog, Oct 30, 2009
  4. kinmel

kinmel

A fully charged 3 cell kept going for 1hour 58 minutes using 9.10 with all the power saving options turned off

kinmel, Oct 30, 2009
  5. kinmel

palingenesis

has anybody noticed way slower boot times upgrading from 9.04?

palingenesis, Oct 30, 2009
  6. kinmel

dogbite

Yes, it's about 5 seconds slower on my 150. Even deleting cruft from startup services had no effect.

Snappier performance once it's up and running though. Love to see some more tweaks to improve boot time.

dogbite, Oct 31, 2009
  7. kinmel

RCHI84

i installed it on a 110L 8GB SSD model. i had previously installed the 9.04 netbook remix before this. used unetbootin to write the iso file to a usb stick, booted into a live session mode on my aspire one, and clicked on install. the installation did a scan and went in for an upgrade, which cut down on the install time, as well as rewrote my hard drive partition as ext4. took about an hour to install, but when i logged in, it picked up the wifi, and the wifi led works out of the box. reinstalled adobe flash, opera 10 and VLC player without a hitch. update manager did an update to the ubuntu one client, around 287kb in total.

love the new interface. boot times are slow, esp compared to linpus, but i personally love the new splash screen. loads into desktop faster than jaunty and the system feels snappier. think it's been worth the upgrade.

i did the whole firefox disable drive cache thingy, but couldn't find any entry for relatime in the fstab, so left the ext4 entry alone.

that's my two cents worth. koala has revitalised my netbook and i love it now. linpus seems so pitiful in comparison, and restrictive as well.

i would definitely recommend an upgrade to anyone who's running linpus or earlier versions of ubuntu.

RCHI84, Oct 31, 2009
  8. kinmel

madwoolything

I've just installed 9.10 on a friend's AA0150 512RAM and am impressed. Much better than previous remix versions.

However I've been trying to figure out how to fix the noisy fan (runs continuously)

Tried the fix listed under the 110L model in Ubuntu community documentation.
    But that just returned
    Anyone had this problem or does the fan just stay silent? Any suggestions?

madwoolything, Oct 31, 2009
  9. kinmel

grahamt

Were any of you who succeeded in creating a functional USB stick using Windows to format/load the stick? I can't get a USB stick to load UNR on my AA1 whether I use unetbootin with the .iso file or usb-creator from the CD I've created. I've tried more than one USB stick and I've checked the MD5sum on the .iso file.

As I've said elsewhere, I can load UNR onto my desktop PC (normally running Windows XP), so the CD seems fine. And I can put UNR 9.04 onto a USB stick from the supplied .img file (via Win32DiskImager) and that works fine, so I think the USB stick is in principle OK. But I can't put 9.10 onto one from the .iso file.

[Edit: No need to reply. It's finally worked, after many attempts. The unetbootin method finally succeeded. The worrying thing is that I did nothing differently this time. It just worked, in a USB stick that had previously failed to work with usb-creator. I have no idea what made the difference, but I'm quickly installing UNR 9.10 while the going's good.]

Graham

grahamt, Oct 31, 2009
  10. kinmel

lnx25b

Anyone had this problem or does the fan just stay silent? Any suggestions?[/quote:jmr877y6]

Try as root instead of with sudo. Type 'sudo su -' and then your password. Then issue the command 'echo -n “enabled” > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/mode'

Hope it helps...

lnx25b, Oct 31, 2009
  11. kinmel

ags

But that just returned
    Have a look at 9.10 Tweaks thread, which is also in this forum.

For the record, the fan control goes well.

ags, Nov 1, 2009
  12. kinmel

netsorcist

Yesterday I did a clean install of my Aspire one and everything works fine, ... until now.

2 negative points :
    - No desktop-switcher (for switching between normal desktop and NBR launcher)
    - No workspace switcher (you only have one workspace)

netsorcist, Nov 1, 2009
  13. kinmel

Grim Squeaker

Ext4 is a journalling filesystem. Is it wise to use that on a SD ?

Grim Squeaker, Nov 1, 2009
  14. kinmel

deputyjones

Just installed by loading ISO with Unetbootin in Windows.

Everything works perfectly. Thanks Ubuntu!

AOA-150, btw

deputyjones, Nov 2, 2009
  15. kinmel

RCHI84

Hey, like i said, i accessed the fstab, but the ext4 filesystem entry is different from the fstab under linpus. linpus had a relatime entry which i modified to noatime, but karmic's entry reads differently with no mention of relatime. I am a n00b at this, so i thought it best to leave the fstab alone. i also read about turning the journaling off in ext4 but it seemed to be more trouble than its worth so i am content with ext4 as of now. performance differences are marginal and some of the discussions i've had with linux experts seemed to suggest that i would probably have changed my aspire one long before the SSD succumbed to wear and tear.

of course, any advice is welcome.

RCHI84, Nov 2, 2009
  16. kinmel

deputyjones

Maybe I spoke to soon. All the hardware works great, but how do I setup file sharing with windows network?

This is setup automatically in the non-netbook version and I am not too good with setting up Samba.

Any help out there?

deputyjones, Nov 3, 2009
  17. kinmel

netsorcist

a 3th negative point :
    - if you shut your laptop, NBR wil go in a sleep, and you can't get it back on. You'll have to restart with powerbutton.

netsorcist, Nov 3, 2009
  18. kinmel

praesepe

Mine wakes up from suspend either closing the lid or from the menu without any problem...

praesepe, Nov 4, 2009
  19. kinmel

GlenMH

Do you have an SD card in the left slot? Mine works perfectly providing the card is not there...

GlenMH, Nov 4, 2009
  20. kinmel

GlenMH

Open the file manager by clicking on documents. In the LH pane, click on Network. It should then open up your network so you can browse to the share you want. When you have opened the right folder, then use the bookmarks menu to bookmark the location, which then puts it in the right place both in the file manager and on the desktop launcher.

GlenMH, Nov 4, 2009
Ask a Question