Ubuntu + Hard Drive = Extreme Heat?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by AspireOverdrive, Aug 10, 2009.

1. AspireOverdrive

AspireOverdrive

I've noticed that my D150 gets quite quite hot underneath when I have ubuntu running with a hard drive in (Ubuntu is on a SD card) the bottom of the netbook gets quite hot to the touch.

When I take the hard drive out, the netbook cools down. I would think that it would be hotter under windows as windows uses the hard drive.

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem

AspireOverdrive, Aug 10, 2009
  2. AspireOverdrive

radioman193

"Linsux"

radioman193, Aug 11, 2009
  3. AspireOverdrive

DutchDK

I can see that our resident oracle, dofus193, has posted advice, even though I can't read it (I've added him to the ignore list, so can only see he has posted, not what he has posted), but I'm guessing his advice is as usefull as his previous posts. Follow it at your own perill.
    Since Ubuntu doesn't know that you don't need to use the harddrive, it keeps it running for you - But as Ubuntu like all other Linux distros are highly configurable and all about giving you choices, there ofcourse exists lots of possible ways to configure it to your specific situation.

One way is to use hdparm to control the harddisk powersavings parameters. If you don't use the harddrive when booting Ubuntu, you can let hdparm spin the drive down, by adding the appropriate hdparm commands to your startup script. This way has the advantage of letting you still use the HD if you need to access files on your windows partition, since the drive automatically will spin up when you mount the harddrive.

Enter "man hdparm" (without the quotes) in a terminal, and press enter, to see the different parameters you can use (Use the -S parameter to control the spindown). Test it in a terminal first, then add hdparm with the appropriate parameters to your startup script, so they get implemented during boot.

Another way to utilize hdparm automatically along with other laptop related powermanagement settings, is with the laptop-mode tools (man laptop-mode). Personally I prefer hdparm on its own, but thats because I'm old-school, and prefer to work at the commandline ;)

DutchDK, Aug 11, 2009
  4. AspireOverdrive

AspireOverdrive

I used to think the same, actually. But I've been using it for projects for abouta year now. Been using it on the netbook all summer and it does what I need it to do :)

quote="DutchDK"]
    I can see that our resident oracle, dofus193, has posted advice, even though I can't read it (I've added him to the ignore list, so can only see he has posted, not what he has posted), but I'm guessing his advice is as usefull as his previous posts. Follow it at your own perill.
    Since Ubuntu doesn't know that you don't need to use the harddrive, it keeps it running for you - But as Ubuntu like all other Linux distros are highly configurable and all about giving you choices, there ofcourse exists lots of possible ways to configure it to your specific situation.

One way is to use hdparm to control the harddisk powersavings parameters. If you don't use the harddrive when booting Ubuntu, you can let hdparm spin the drive down, by adding the appropriate hdparm commands to your startup script. This way has the advantage of letting you still use the HD if you need to access files on your windows partition, since the drive automatically will spin up when you mount the harddrive.

Enter "man hdparm" (without the quotes) in a terminal, and press enter, to see the different parameters you can use (Use the -S parameter to control the spindown). Test it in a terminal first, then add hdparm with the appropriate parameters to your startup script, so they get implemented during boot.

Another way to utilize hdparm automatically along with other laptop related powermanagement settings, is with the laptop-mode tools (man laptop-mode). Personally I prefer hdparm on its own, but thats because I'm old-school, and prefer to work at the commandline ;)[/quote]

I'll look up hdparm. I should be able to do command line. If I can get a linux router and linux DMZ ... actually with my luck I'll break it. But I'll just do a cp -rf /* on my sd card so I don't lose a lot of data!

AspireOverdrive, Aug 13, 2009
Ask a Question