Ubuntu modifications

Discussion in 'Linux' started by poningru, Aug 6, 2008.

1. poningru

poningru

Ok so making an aspire specific ubuntu downstream distro.
    Need help in determining what to change. So the best list seems to be from a french site that lists it all for kubuntu installation: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=164&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=160#p5329
    Audio seems to be up in the air right now from what I have been reading here. So let me know what the changes required for audio are.
    I would also like to know if people would prefer it come with netbook autoinstalled or without the netbook ui. I guess I can try to figure out a method of having it become an installation option in ubiquity.
    The other thing is do we want to give KDE as an option instead of just having gnome.
    Let me know
    Keep in mind this would use the internal sdd as a staging ground so there would be no need for an external media as long as you have about a gig of space free (if we are going with kde and everything, otherwise about 700MB) in your internal drive.
    -Eldo

poningru, Aug 6, 2008
  2. poningru

daymz

Good idea!

But aren't there still issues with Ubuntu ? For example, going to sleep and SD corruption. Or the Wifi adapter's LED. For sound, is everything working now (internal and external mic, headphones and speaker) ? I believe the card reader driver in Ubuntu also only supports SD cards, not MMC/etc.

There are so many tidbits of information spread out everywhere in this forum, it's a little hard to figure it out all in terms of where we're at now. In my opinion.

Do you also plan on modifiying all the boot parameters (as seen in that french article) ? How about unecessary modules ?

Personally: No netbook remix stuff, and Gnome only.

daymz, Aug 6, 2008
  3. poningru

axcairns

I vote for netbook remix

axcairns, Aug 10, 2008
  4. poningru

picasso

Good idea. It would be great if hibernation worked. I am very happy with bluetooth working, this module should stay in (3G access)! I wonder if there is any possibility to use the left card reader the way linpus does......

picasso, Aug 10, 2008
  5. poningru

SbM

Well, hibernation works on my Xubuntu distro. It reports it doesn't but it obviously does.

SbM, Aug 10, 2008
  6. poningru

tymchn

I vote for basing it on Xubuntu, it seems to be more lightweight compared to Ubuntu. Ideally SSD performance will be comparable to Linpus... perhaps even improved. In terms of hardware support, I think it should be designed to run well on the basic configuration (8GB SSD, 512MB memory). Also hopefully support some of the popular mods. Perhaps by improving performance with extra memory and different HDD/SSDs. Im happy to help test this as I find Xubuntu currently terrible for disk performance. Even Linpus pauses alot with disk access.

tymchn, Aug 10, 2008
  7. poningru

lotus49

lotus49, Aug 10, 2008
  8. poningru

poningru

But see that doesnt include all the stuff like the deb for wifi drivers or the simple audio fix with model=acer. I guess I should update that.
    -Eldo

poningru, Aug 11, 2008
  9. poningru

philubuntu

This would be fantastic.....I have used Ubuntu for 2 years as my main OS at home, BUT I have never had enough time to tweak and mod everything, I need it to work with the minimum of effort. (I know...lazy!) I am planning on buying an Aspire One anyway but would love for it to run Ubuntu. If someone (like you) was able to make a distro that I could download in one go without having to fiddle I would be very grateful.....
    Netbook remix would be fantastic...KDE or Gnome makes no difference really....although once a user has Ubuntu installed and working it's pretty straightforward to set up however you like.

Anything to stop me being tempted away to the Elonex Webbook!!

Thanks for all the hard work,
    Phil

philubuntu, Aug 18, 2008
  10. poningru

philubuntu

Sorry for replying to my own post.......but I have been checking out some posts on http://www.eeebuntu.org/forum and there seems to have already been a lot of work done on making Ubuntu work OOTB on the Eee. Couldn't one of the Eee distros be tweaked to work on the One?

philubuntu, Aug 19, 2008
  11. poningru

poningru

We can certainly take their kernel level modifications and fs based modifications (ssd optimizations) but anything other than that will be different. So it would be better for us to just to figure out everything out ourselves.
    -Eldo

poningru, Aug 19, 2008
Ask a Question