Ubuntu Netbook Remix 1.01

Discussion in 'Linux' started by warwon, Nov 17, 2008.

1. warwon

jango

I dont understand one thing....

I have made a fresh install of Interpid on my AAO with Ubunti Remix, what version of Ubuntu Remix do i have?

jango, Nov 23, 2008
  2. warwon

mikespug

You are currently using Intrepid with the remix "package", if you will, installed overtop. The version discussed here is based upon the Ubuntu Netbook Remix image available for download. Search though this thread for links.

mikespug, Nov 23, 2008
  3. warwon

jango

Are not the same?

jango, Nov 23, 2008
  4. warwon

spinnekopje

They are indeed different. I would love to try out the unr version, but there isn't an iso for download and I can't find a way to convert the usb img file. For the moment I use intrepid with the remix on top of it.
    If anybody can tell me how to convert the unr version will be installed the same day (or the next morning).

spinnekopje, Nov 23, 2008
  5. warwon

jango

What are the differences? can you tell me?

I dont understand because on wiki they only talk about Interpid with Remix packages, i think that you are wrong, only if it is a non-official realese or mod realese...

Thanks

jango, Nov 23, 2008
  6. warwon

PirateX

Sorry if this is a double-post - I just tried and can't see my post.

Is anybody else having a tough time creating the USB disk? I have Mandriva installed on my One and tried using "DD" as outlined in the instructions... It seems to work fine, and I can browse all of the files on the USB disk after it completes, but it won't boot from it - when it tries to boot I don't even get an error message, it just goes quickly to the GRUB loader for Mandriva.

Any ideas? Do I have to install Ubuntu on the One just so I can use the built in utility to make the USB image??? Is there a viable Win32 alternative to create it?

Thanks

(edit) Got it figured out - ended up installing Xubuntu and using the utility to create the drive, then installed UNR. Working well so far!

PirateX, Nov 23, 2008
  7. warwon

micha

Installed Remix 1.01 and am happy with it (it's not perfect but it does what I need it to for now). The only thing I'm trying to figure out is editing binary files (specifically rtf and doc) that are on a server. I'm a writer and I keep my files on the server so I can access them from wherever in the house. But on my AAO that doesn't work yet. I can access files just fine, browse the network and stuff, even watch videos or edit php files, but doc and rtf files hae some problems. It opens up the editor (abiword/open office) but doesn't load the file.

Anyone know how to get this working? Why isn't this build in, anyway?

micha, Nov 24, 2008
  8. warwon

pienjo

It is built in. Kinda. Netbook Remix is based on GNOME, and uses GNOME's network neighbourhood browsing. This has the benefit that it's more user-friendly, and can do nice pop-ups requesting login credentials if a share cannot be accessed. It works really nice, but it's got one huge drawback:

It will only work for GNOME-programs, or at least GNOME-aware programs - which excludes OpenOffice and AbiWord. This is why it works for media files (using Totem, a GNOME program) or text/php files (using whatever GNOME-based editor you're using), but not for other programs: They're unaware of the GnomeVFS. KDE has a similar thing going, called KIO, which has exactly the same problems: It only works for programs that have been designed to support it.

There's an alternative (fusesmb), but it comes at a price: it's not as friendly, requires you to edit config files if you need to supply login credentials and doesn't always give useful error messages, but on the plus side it doesn't require any support from programs. Installing is pretty straightforward; see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FuseSmb (Untested). Alternatively, you could have a peek at the Linpus part of the forum, as fusesmb is the (only?) way to do this under Linpus.

pienjo, Nov 24, 2008
  9. warwon

spinnekopje

What kind of server do you use? Here I've install ubuntu on every computer at home. Every computer also acts as an openssh server. For some connections I use a dsa key to do authentification, so I don't have to enter any pasword. I only have to type in the sftp:// with the ip of the remove server. If that one is always the same you could give it a name to make things easier.

I open files over the network with openoffice quite regularly without any problems. I also did install openoffice 3 from the launchpad repo (http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ubuntu) and that one works too.

spinnekopje, Nov 24, 2008
  10. warwon

micha

Thanks guys, that explains a lot. I'll see if I can work with fusesmb (or find a GNOME word processor, heheh).

Oh, it's just a mediavault, btw. Sorry, windows :oops:

micha, Nov 25, 2008
  11. warwon

fordiebianco

Hi Guys and Dolls,

I have been observing this thread with interest and can only marvel at the problems described. I have a bog-standard AspireOne 150 (the one with the 120GB hd and 1 gig Ram) and installed NMR 1.01 last week (http://messagedfromtheouthouse.wordpress.com/2008/11/23/ubuntu-on-the-aspire-one/).

I had nil probs. Au contraire, batterylife is improved, wifi is improved, the repositories are vast, sound seems to have improved as well (Linpus's output was weirdly tinny. old alsa - driver?) and for the first time the AspireOne behaves like a proper laptop.

I certainly bow before my new Ubuntu overlords.

FB

fordiebianco, Nov 25, 2008
  12. warwon

szeidner

Has anyone had a problem getting this image to boot all the way? I've written the image to a USB key (tried both WinImage and dd and downloaded the image multiple times to make sure it was the correct one). When I boot up the Aspire One "ZG5" model from the USB key, I get a warning, and boot prompt, so I press enter. Then, it looks like it's properly detecting hardware for a while. Finally, it gets to this point:

Found USB flash drive at /dev/sdb
    will mount root from /dev/sdb

and just hangs at this screen. I've let it sit for 10-15 min. and it seems to be doing nothing (the light on my USB key flashes at a regular pace (about once every 1/2 second). Has anyone had this happen? Is there a way around it? Thanks.

szeidner, Nov 27, 2008
  13. warwon

SlCKB0Y

I had this until i used image writer under ubuntu to write the image.

SlCKB0Y, Nov 27, 2008
  14. warwon

SlCKB0Y

So no one has been able to compile a kernel properly?

I want use a kernel config from another thread with ubuntu nr for the best of both worlds

SlCKB0Y, Nov 27, 2008
  15. warwon

spinnekopje

I am very happy to have found someone with a large usb key and I did install a couple of days ago. I don't think it even took me 15 min to install (I have an HD version). So that is not normal. I used the program the recommend on the site to install.

I would suggest people whithout usb key who want to try this version to find someone with a key and ask him/her whether you can use the key for about (half) an hour. (Be sure you tell that the key will be completely erased.) It only took me about 30min to get everything up and running (configuring took me longer).

spinnekopje, Nov 27, 2008
  16. warwon

spinnekopje

What do you need to do exactly to get the card readers work?

On Intrepid I got them working with the solution on the community page, but that one doesn't work here now. If battery life isn't improved by more than 15' and I'm not able to get the cards being hot pluggable (standard SD cards) I will return to intrepid which I like a little bit more.

17. warwon

Viaimpedita

But with this release of ubuntu remix the front mic works? I try it but for me don't works..anyone have fix it.

Viaimpedita, Nov 27, 2008
  18. warwon

spinnekopje

I've played with UNR 1.0.1 for a couple of days now, maybe I can get it to work very nice, but here are my first findings:
    -unr: wireless network working, no need for cabled connection
    8.10: need to install extra package or compile madwifi (what I did last time)
    -unr: 2h05 battery life
    8.10: 2h00 (both with the same power tweaks
    -unr: netbook remix working nicely
    8.10: install packages yourself and configure
    -unr: automatic login doesn't ask for keyring password (WPA wifi)
    8.10: didn't try with latest updates, but asked for password couple of weeks ago
    -unr: card readers not working with found tweaks (working is hotpluggable SD-card for me)
    8.10: card readers worked with change on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne#CARD READER: page.
    -unr: not all packages I like in repo (like opera)
    8.10: packages in repo
    -unr: based on 8.04
    8.10: updated nautilus which gives tab support and better way of selecting multiple files with keyboard
    -unr: shutdown with ctrl+alt+del and alt+u (dutch version: Uitzetten)
    8.10: menu to shutdown, but guest account is available (nice for websites you don't trust and friends, family)

My conclusion for now:
    If you are a linux newbie and bought to AA1 to surf, chat, word processing: go for the unr 1.0.1. Instructions are in a post on the first page of this thread.
    Wifi works, so you can start chatting, surfing right away. Also the very good interface is already present. I saw an option to change back, but didn't try that (as I do want the netbook gui).
    For people who have worked with linux before and don't mind installing extra packages or working command line _before_ they can start surfing or chatting, the choice is more difficult. It just depends on what you prefer.
    In my case, the updated nautilus helps me to work faster, and I don't mind tweaking the system. I also got the card readers working. For now I prefer 8.10, but we'll see what another couple of days will make me decide.

19. warwon

dr3as

I'll test this on one of the one's on work. Mine will have 8.10 i guess....

dr3as, Nov 27, 2008
  20. warwon

HanDerre

Hi!

Can someone please tell me how I can install this on my AAO? I am currently running the Linpus Lite that comes with my 110L and I have tried oh so many times to install Ubuntu (mainly 8.04.01 because of the LTS and the issues with WiFi on 8.10) yet with no success. Yesterday I came across this distro and was drooling. Just the thing I thought but being a Linux Newbie I can't get past even the software requirements or preparations even.
    :evil:
    Please help 'cause my BlueMeanDreamMachine is inches away from being just another brick in my wall (credits: Pink Floyd).
    :cool:

Best regards,

HanDerre

HanDerre, Nov 27, 2008
Ask a Question