Ubuntu Netbook Remix 1.01

Discussion in 'Linux' started by warwon, Nov 17, 2008.

1. warwon

pienjo

I noticed a considerable speedup after I applied the hints from http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Aspire_One#Firefox

pienjo, Dec 2, 2008
  2. warwon

SlCKB0Y

WIFI DOESNT WORK WITH THIS KERNEL. DO NOT USE IT. IT DOES NOT WORK WITH THOSE MODULE DEBS EITHER.

I just hosed a working setup to try this rubbish. UNR is absolute garbage at the moment. I usually wouldnt give people advice without having tried it on my machine first, but oh well.

SlCKB0Y, Dec 3, 2008
  3. warwon

janss

I really have to disagree with you. UNR works like a charm for me. The only downside is the unstable Atheros HAL, which can be fixed by manually installing madwifi to the setup, which I'm going to do shortly.

janss, Dec 3, 2008
  4. warwon

mikespug

Just boot off your old kernel and learn to read things a little more clearly:

I don't post any information without having tested it first or posting a disclaimer. There's no need for the dramatics. Perhaps you could spend some time determining why it doesn't work and offer something to the community. Thanks for the feed back though!

mikespug, Dec 3, 2008
  5. warwon

djhworld

I have to say I whole heartedly disagree what "SICKBOY" has said.

Installing UNR was a breeze and everything worked fine....except wireless. But this was easily fixed by simply installing madwifi and now it works like a dream.

Yes, I know there are issues (sound not working after hibernation etc) but the image as a whole works perfect with this little laptop and I couldn't be happier,

djhworld, Dec 3, 2008
  6. warwon

Duncan_Rowland

Me too, UNR works great - except I didn't have any trouble with wifi, that just worked out the box as well.
    Only real issue I had was with the internal mic, and that was easily fixed with the alsa update script.

Duncan_Rowland, Dec 3, 2008
  7. warwon

hillsoft

Couple questions for all. I have skimmed through this thread, and I don't think these questions have been asked specifically, but I apologize if they have.

1) This UNR image when written to a USB stick and booted from goes through and installs UNR on the AAO obviously. Does it allow you to partition the system during installation? I have a 160GB AAO and want to keep the current XP installation, but want to shrink the partition down and make room for UNR. I am use to normal Ubuntu installs that allow you to resize partitions and such during install. Will this UNR USB boot image allow that?

2) Also can someone verify if their unr-1.0.1.img MD5 sum matches the one on their servers?

The md5sum file on wiki.ubuntu.com/UNR has this listed as the sum

7a8635db350142253b08825560aae09f

When I run md5sum on the downloaded unr-1.0.1.img I get

6a58eb6e79a4004507c10c3993d8f2ff

My downloaded unr-1.0.1.img is 1104150528 bytes in size.

hillsoft, Dec 4, 2008
  8. warwon

hillsoft

Never mind on question #2. I redownloaded the img file again and it matched this time. Upon further examination I noticed the new download and old one were the exact same size, but differed in content.

When examining the two downloaded img files with a hex editor I noticed that the differences were in the directory structure of the files contained in the image. The differences were Mac OS X related files (DS_STORE, Trash, etc). I realized then I had downloaded the img file on my PowerMac and double clicked on the img file and allowed OS X to mount the image. I didn't modify anything, but when un-mounting it OS X must have modified the image with its DS_STORE and trash files getting added to the directory structure of the image.

I doubt this would have effected the image, but I went ahead and recopied the un-tainted image to my USB stick.

Just really curious if anyone can shed any light on my question #1 a post above. Hoping the UNR image allows partition resizing and creation so I can install it, but keep my XP installation too.

hillsoft, Dec 4, 2008
  9. warwon

Duncan_Rowland

Unfortunately I think not. At the moment booting the UNR image from a memory stick only has the option to install on the internal drive (wiping what is already there). http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-988576.html

Duncan_Rowland, Dec 4, 2008
  10. warwon

Skumpic

Skumpic, Dec 4, 2008
  11. warwon

mikespug

Run a google search for "linux-lpia-headers-2.6.27-4" and see what you come up with. It should answer your question.

mikespug, Dec 4, 2008
  12. warwon

PirateX

No, there is not an option to partition during installation - it is an unattended install with no GUI.

To answer your question, from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne:

Code:
    WARNING ABOUT UNR: The UNR installer image currently wants to format your entire hard disk. If you want to dual boot XP Home and Ubuntu your best bet is to use GPARTD from a live linux such as systemrescuecd to resize the windows partition and create partitions for your Ubuntu install. Recommended one main partition labeled / and formatted and a 1-2 gb swap partition. -- JohnAho
    Hope this helps.

Cheers.

PirateX, Dec 4, 2008
  13. warwon

hillsoft

Yes that does help. Thanks very much for posting that info and link.

It sounds from that info that I can resize the XP partition and format the new / (hopefully I can do a /home also) and do a swap partition.

I am guessing the installer doesn't have any options for partitioning, but allows you to specify mount points during install.

hillsoft, Dec 4, 2008
  14. warwon

jango

Does suspend/resume works with home on SDHC on Interpid with this kernel???

jango, Dec 4, 2008
  15. warwon

SlCKB0Y

There are no dramatics here. I just thought I might let other people know. And as far as I am concerned I am not booting the older kernel because then sound will not be fully functional? This isnt acceptable to me.

And I do think UNR is currently garbage which is severely restrictive, missing features etc etc.

I believe this is a forum, occasionally people will disagree with you.

SlCKB0Y, Dec 5, 2008
  16. warwon

sdf_beanhead

I have not been able to find any info in my searches, but I have UNR 1.01 installed on my AAO and it is great except for the wireless is funky. I have it connected, but it seems to "go to sleep" or intermittently communicate... i.e. I cannot watch video streamed from my desktop computer to my AAO over my 802.11g, but works great with wired connection. Is there a powersave function I can disable? I just have the stock UNR installed.

sdf_beanhead, Dec 7, 2008
  17. warwon

pienjo

Update your wifi driver. Perform the steps described in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne#WIRELESS:, they should help.

pienjo, Dec 7, 2008
  18. warwon

samguyjones

Is there work to make an AAO-specific image of the Netbook remix? I took some instructions earlier in this thread, downloaded an image, made a USB installer, and I installed. It was incredibly easy and it's a great interface. I was pretty happy with Linpus, but I much prefer the UNR. My current issues are:

• Right SD card reader doesn't work.[/*:m:wr41ly6h]
    • Boot takes a minute (though network and mounts are all done, which took about 30 sec in Linpus)[/*:m:wr41ly6h]
    • I'm pretty sure the MIC doesn't work.[/*:m:wr41ly6h]

Now, even without these three, I prefer UNR to Linpus. But I think it would be possible and cool to have an image that worked perfectly. Is someone trying to create such an image? Selfishly, I'd like to just wait for a perfected UNR AAO image that I could install with zero fuss. Selflessly, I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about pushing the AAO and the UNR if there was a way to get full function with UNR's terrific interface without doing lots of time consuming and risky package hunting.

samguyjones, Dec 7, 2008
  19. warwon

spaceholiday

I am also interested to know this, as I don't get any updates either. Otherwise I really love the UNR.
    Thanks in advance...

spaceholiday, Dec 9, 2008
  20. warwon

finnbakk

Thanks! Very interesting thread.

Has anyone a list of what works/doesn't work with UNR on AAO?

finnbakk, Dec 9, 2008
Ask a Question