Ubuntu Netbook Remix 1.01

Discussion in 'Linux' started by warwon, Nov 17, 2008.

1. warwon

csmo

csmo, Dec 9, 2008
  2. warwon

Pietro

I tried the image just now. The installation seems to stop after about 20 sec.

"Found USB flash drive at /dev/sdb
    will mount root from /dev/sdb"

Nothing goes ahead with the led of usb disk flashing.

The model of usb disk is SanDisk Cruzer Micro 4G. It was partitioned into only 1 partition of 1.5 G.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

Pietro, Dec 9, 2008
  3. warwon

kgorilla

I did this on windows.. if you have linux, just dd if=/home/user/unr-1.0.1.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

Download "flashnul" http://shounen.ru/soft/flashnul/ - Don't worry about the russian language, it's easy to use..
    Code:
    flashnul -p
    note your USB physical device, should be an integer, i will use 1 for example:
    Code:
     flashnul 1 -L c:\documents and settings\..\unr-1.0.1.img
    answer yes after verifying the destination drive is the one you want

kgorilla, Dec 9, 2008
  4. warwon

Zorofroozo

can't you use the special AOO kernel from SICKBOY? http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7560

install ubuntu 8.10 install new kernel and headers, and then install netbook remix as a package?

I'm still very new to linux, could have missed something which makes my elaborate scheme rather impossible to perform, but still, wonna hear yur thoughts

Zorofroozo, Dec 9, 2008
  5. warwon

Pietro

Resolved.

I made a mistake in the creation of the bootable disk:
    sudo dd if=unr-1.0.1.img of=/dev/sdb1 bs=1M

thus, the installation couldn't retrieve anything from from /dev/sdb as the source.

Pietro, Dec 9, 2008
  6. warwon

mikespug

You can...however...the main difference with this "image" that's being discussed here is that the kernel and packages are built based upon intel's LPIA (low power intel architecture) that is optimized for the atom processor and, as a result, much less power hungry. If you aren't interested in the power savings you can install the remix package as you had mentioned, otherwise the UNR image is your best bet. Not everything works out of the box...but it will in time. Once people begin custom compiling kernels based off of the LPIA architecture you'll see some fairly dramatic improvements.

mikespug, Dec 10, 2008
  7. warwon

sdf_beanhead

I know that is a long quote, but I started in on this to see if I could get any benifit. I found that when I tried to run the Alsa audio script I recieved errors during the make process (viewed via tail -f)...
    Code:
     Building modules, stage 2.
      MODPOST 159 modules
    scripts/mod/modpost: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.8' not found (required by scripts/mod/modpost)
    make[2]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-4-lpia'
    make: *** [compile] Error 2
    alsa-driver-1.0.18a make failed

I receive a similar error when I try to recompile the madwifi drivers (I did a make clean before hand). I am stuck. I tried reinstalling the GLIBC library through synaptic package manager, but no luck. I would like to run the new kernel, but if I cannot compile anything I gain nothing.

sdf_beanhead, Dec 10, 2008
  8. warwon

mikespug

@sdf_beanhead: You may have to install the "build-essential" package through synaptic first. Try that and get back to me.

mikespug, Dec 10, 2008
  9. warwon

sdf_beanhead

I have the build-essential package installed. I installed it when I compiled the madwifi under 2.6.24 kernel. I uninstalled the package and reinstalled it under 2.6.27 but still no luck.

sdf_beanhead, Dec 10, 2008
  10. warwon

within

Hi,

just a litte message to say I did install UNR 1.0.1 today, and until now, it seems to works good. Fast response, wifi (WPA) works, support of USB devices and "HD" extension seems ok, webcam too.
    So far, so good :)

Thanks to the UNR Team for this nice release that works on Acer Aspire1.

Cheers,
    within

within, Dec 22, 2008
  11. warwon

csmo

Within, great to hear you got it working. May I ask how much ram you have and what´s your model (110L, 150L). I´m asking because when I installed UNR 1.01 on the 110L (standard 8gb ssd 512 mb ram) it was anything but fast to respond. It was quite slow in fact. So just wondering whether something went wrong for me or if this is a common problem for everybody using the 110L aao (ssd) without any ram upgrade.

csmo, Dec 22, 2008
  12. warwon

spinnekopje

I think default install had ext3 and it became a lot more responsive after changing to ext2. I'm not sure, because I have an 150L.

spinnekopje, Dec 22, 2008
  13. warwon

csmo

Ah well, that would explain the speediness. I was just wondering whether he/she got it working with the default setup (ext3) on a ssd model. Sure hope they´ll make it optional to choose between the ext2 and ext3 file systems with the next UNR release.

csmo, Dec 22, 2008
  14. warwon

WAK

Has anyone managed to dual boot this,every time i boot the usb key i only get the option to install to the whole drive. I,ve already partitioned my drive so it has 50gb nfts 60gb ext3 1gb swap but there is no option to install it to the ext3 partition

thanks for any help

WAK, Dec 22, 2008
  15. warwon

hillsoft

Only way to get UNR from the boot image is to let it partition the whole drive.

The other option is to install Ubuntu and then add the UNR packages as detailed on the AA1 specific pages on Ubuntu's site.

The only issue that I have heard about the latter method is you don't get the UNR Atom compiled kernel. Not sure if its true or not. I would just install 8.10 or 8.04.1 and then do the UNR packages, and then install sickboys kernel.

hillsoft, Dec 22, 2008
  16. warwon

finnbakk

After installing Sickboy's kernel, the right SD card is no longer recognized (was recogn before). What can be done to fix this?

finnbakk, Dec 23, 2008
  17. warwon

hillsoft

I am running Sickboys kernel on my 8.04.1 Ubuntu system and the left and right card slots both work fine. Mind you this is after booting the system with no cards in the slots and inserting a couple cards into each slot after boot. I never try suspending or hibernation, and haven't tried shutting down with the cards in the slots and then booting back up.

I originally installed 8.04.1 and followed the AA1 page on Ubuntu's site for tweaking things. I never did any of the memory card tweaks listed there. At the time I wasn't concerned about memory cards and figured I would get to it later.

Then I installed Sickboys kernel. Couple days later when I tried the memory card slots I found them both to work fine.

These tests were done with two 8GB SDHC cards.

hillsoft, Dec 23, 2008
  18. warwon

overthis

dual booting

So, I am confused ... if UNR wants to format your entire hard disk, can you choose not too? I really would like to leave my partitions alone.

overthis, Dec 24, 2008
  19. warwon

hillsoft

Re: dual booting

That warning you quote is ambiguous. It makes you think that you can repartition the drive ahead of time and then use those partitions with the UNR boot image, which in fact you can't. When it talks about repartitioning with gparted off of systemrescuecd it should be more clear in that it is saying to do that before using a normal Ubuntu livecd for installation of a normal Ubuntu. That itself is odd advice since the Ubuntu live CD already has a partitioner in the install process that can resize, or you can run gparted from it.

So If you want to boot from the UNR image to do an install it will destroy any existing partitions and create its own for UNR. No way around that. You will lose any other partitions or OS's installed.

If you want to keep your other partitions you are going to have to install Ubuntu from a normal Live CD image. The normal Ubuntu installer will allow you to resize your partitons, or you can use gparted from the Ubuntu livecd too before even starting the install process. But with this method you will be installing a standard Ubuntu and then doing an apt-get install of the pieces needed for adding UNR to your current install. This method requires you to do all the tweaks to Ubuntu to get it working with the AA1.

So if you have current partitions with OS's you don't want to lose, your best bet is to install a normal Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu (whichever you want), do the tweaks needed for the AA1, and then install the UNR deb packages through apt-get. Once you have all that working good, I would then install sickboy's kernel and you will have a nice running system.

I would think that in future UNR boot image releases the installer options will be improved.

hillsoft, Dec 24, 2008
  20. warwon

xengren

Can't get WiFi to work with WPA2. No error messages either. Sucks hardcore.

xengren, Dec 24, 2008
Ask a Question