Ubuntu Netbook Remix 1.01

Discussion in 'Linux' started by warwon, Nov 17, 2008.

1. warwon

overthis

hillsoft, thanks for clearing up that ambiguity. I was hoping for a no mess, no fuss route. I was able to install 8.10 w/o any issues, but I haven't tried Sickboy's kernels yet. I guess I have no choice now.

overthis, Dec 24, 2008
  2. warwon

marc_firth

Hi,

Has anyone got any security updates for UNR since they installed it? I haven't had one. I tried to set Synaptic to allow for security and recommended updates for hardy but it failed to completely load the package info.

Cheers,
    Marc :)

marc_firth, Dec 24, 2008
  3. warwon

janss

Yeah, I've wondered about the same thing, it never seems get any updates, which is pretty odd since my 2 other linux machines get updates every week..

I have to say I'm getting a little worried about this thing...

janss, Dec 24, 2008
  4. warwon

Flux101

Hey, I just got around to installing it and liking it (had Vista installed but read-only FBWF due to the SSD).... but battery life says about an hour left on 70%? That can't be right, surely - people said up to 4 hours earlier in the thread...? Is that done with some tweaks?

Flux101, Dec 25, 2008
  5. warwon

xengren

I finally got WPA2 to work. Don't use the Manual Network configuration option. Right click on the network applet on the right top. Also, if you have entries in /etc/network/interfaces, kill everything but lo.

xengren, Dec 26, 2008
  6. warwon

figvam

I don't think 4 hours is achievable with the default 2200maH battery. 2 hours and 20-30 minutes is more reasonable. Still, one hour at 70% is kind of low. What does powertop say about your system when it runs on battery? Leave it running and after some time it should show the current power consumption and battery life estimate.

figvam, Dec 26, 2008
  7. warwon

Gtone

hi all i just downloaded the UNR iso file but i don't know how to make the bootable usb... i unpacked the iso and copy all the files to a usb and tryed to boot from there but it didn't work what should i do?

Gtone, Dec 27, 2008
  8. warwon

xengren

You got the wrong file. Get the .img file then do dd if=[your.img file] of=/dev/sd[whereever your memory stick is] bs=1M from Linpus.

Reboot. Press F12, boot from the stick and you should be good to go. Before you try, though, lots of things are broken like can't have audio in flash and the music player at the same time, SD corruption, etc. It was a waste of time for me. I ended up going back to Linpus.

xengren, Dec 28, 2008
  9. warwon

arentoine

I used UNR img format and it works very well ... Beware that the install erases all your disk.

Alain

arentoine, Dec 28, 2008
  10. warwon

pete20

Hi

I installed UNR yesterday. So far I like it a lot and would like to keep it. There is just one annoying bug:

- when downloading a large torrent with azureus on a wireless connection the system crashes - unresponsive, Caps Lock blinks

havent tried deluge or transmission yet. Could it be caused by the wireless connection? should I try to change drivers?

I am a newby

Thanks, if anybody comes up with an idea

pete20, Dec 29, 2008
  11. warwon

csmo

Hi Pete

It sounds like you might want to change from the default ext3 file system to ext2, that is, if you´re running UNR on a ssd card (AAO 110 model). When UNR is running on a ssd card with a journaling file system (ext3) you´ll most likely find it rather sluggish. If you have the HD model I don´t know what may cause the system to freeze but I´m sure others can help you here. :)

csmo, Dec 29, 2008
  12. warwon

exwannabe

I know this is a little OT here, but what do you guys think of the UI or Netbook Remix?

I previously used a Nokia 780 (father of 810) and liked the UI for a device that size. I kind of have the feeling NetRemix is trying for the same concept. Keep as much of the screen clear for the app as possible.

I'm very borderline with that here, as the screen is not that small.On the other hand, right this second I have WAY to much clutter above the top of the real page, which hurts on this screen size.

Very undecided.

TIA.

exwannabe, Dec 31, 2008
  13. warwon

figvam

I remember reading somewhere that it's possible to map the "Home" key (aka "Windows" key) to the "go home" applet action. But for the life of me I can't find that info again. Could anyone enlighten me?

figvam, Dec 31, 2008
  14. warwon

mikespug

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7012&p=46534&hilit=home#p46534

mikespug, Dec 31, 2008
  15. warwon

diverbelow

The reason for no security updates (yet) is that this an OEM version of Ubuntu Remix. As you can tell in synaptic in the Third party section.

I am currently install Kubuntu 8.10 then installing UNR 1.01 files and see how the system performance is. Will post back later.

diverbelow, Dec 31, 2008
  16. warwon

exwannabe

Does that work?

I thought UNR leverages sawfish which isn't in Kubuntu?

exwannabe, Jan 1, 2009
  17. warwon

figvam

That's it, thanks a bunch!

figvam, Jan 2, 2009
  18. warwon

overthis

Will UNR be able to use my Dell 1390 wireless card I installed? I installed it hoping to try OS X at some point. Regular 8.10 allowed me to add a proprietary hardware driver, but when I later updated the kernel to 2.6.28 rc8, I lost the ability to add a hardware driver. So, I'm wondering if a straight UNR install would work to get the wireless card working again.

overthis, Jan 3, 2009
  19. warwon

skedone

what am i doing wrong i get the nice warning screen press enter it finishes probing stuff then i get will mount root from /dev/sdb and it stops

skedone, Jan 8, 2009
  20. warwon

ajayre

I am getting a lot of lockups with this. Both with the original kernel and sickboy's. It seems to happen when grabbing updates - either from the package manager or aptitude.

I have a AAO with 1Gb RAM, 160Gb HD, 6-cell battery. No mods - just got it yesterday.

No entries in the syslog that indicate any kind of problem.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Andy

ajayre, Jan 15, 2009
Ask a Question