Ubuntu Netbook Remix?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Wolfgang, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Wolfgang

diogosousa

Yes, it's set to "None".

Your video is made with a camera. My video is a screencast recorded within Ubuntu, making it very slow...

diogosousa, Aug 4, 2008
  2. Wolfgang

modin

I run Ubuntu netbook remix on my Acer Aspire One, even with the the atom kernel modification, I found it by googling for ume-config. There the only problem that I still have after som tweaking, is that the netbook menu doesn`t work after the machine has gone trough hibernation. I solved it with putting the standard Gnome menu in the top panel, but I would like to have the Netbook menu working after hibernation, anybody else experienced the same problem?

modin, Aug 7, 2008
  3. Wolfgang

danne

Isn't Eeebuntu just that, a slimmed down Ubuntu with the netbook addons delivered as an ISO file? Has anyone tested it on the One?

danne, Aug 9, 2008
  4. Wolfgang

axcairns

Haven't tried hibernation but I had the same thing after suspend.

Allan

axcairns, Aug 10, 2008
  5. Wolfgang

jango

How to install Ubuntu Netbook Remix on AA1??? can some one help me???

Thanks

jango, Aug 10, 2008
  6. Wolfgang

modin

I guess i was talking about suspend, just a translation error, as I have Norwegian language on my Ubuntu. But the problem was to resume after suspend, and that the netbook menu don`t work before I restart. So I guess we both have to wait for a fix.

modin, Aug 10, 2008
  7. Wolfgang

axcairns

axcairns, Aug 11, 2008
  8. Wolfgang

suvarin

This is a known problem https://bugs.launchpad.net/netbook-remix-launcher/+bug/237761. You will find a workaround in the bug discussion (a real fix will have to wait for Interpid Ibex).

Another nagging detail is that some windows don't get fully maximized.

I'm back to regular Hardy (if you remove the bottom panel it works quite well), gathering strength to write bugreports on all those pesky dialog windows that are too big and can't be resized.

suvarin, Aug 11, 2008
  9. Wolfgang

axcairns

I have posted the instructions for Netbook Remix and the Suspend/Resume fix in the Ubuntu 8.04.1 on Aspire One Guide.

Cheers,

Allan

axcairns, Aug 13, 2008
  10. Wolfgang

niem102

Ok so I'm thinking of installing the netbook remix, but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra work for a Linux n00b or should I just install regular Ubuntu. I usually catch on to anything with computers pretty quickly and should be able to get help from friends that know Linux some, so I'm sure I could get it working eventually, but what advantages does it have on the One and how well has anyone gotten it working yet?

niem102, Aug 18, 2008
  11. Wolfgang

rachel

Well, installing regular ubuntu is the necessary first step. You do that first, then you install netbook remix - or don't, if you decide you're happy with it as is. :)

Follow the howto, it seems to be mostly right. :)

rachel, Aug 18, 2008
  12. Wolfgang

niem102

Ok I just need to find an empty or new USB stick and get some time on my hands. I'm sure I'll be happy with Ubuntu since I'm using XP now, but I'm still wondering once I get Ubuntu on there, how much improvement are you seeing with the netbook remix?

niem102, Aug 19, 2008
  13. Wolfgang

glibdud

At this point it's basically just a UI over top of the regular Ubuntu install, so it's only an "improvement" if you like the look/functionality of the netbook UI over a basic gnome desktop. There should be enough screenshots floating around to give you an idea.

I like that they're working on it, but personally I'm not ready to go with it. If I had a touchscreen, it might be a different story...

glibdud, Aug 19, 2008
  14. Wolfgang

niem102

If it's just the UI then I probably won't go for it yet either. I like having a desktop anyways. I was just wondering if they had any performance benefits figured out yet I guess. But if all it is is just mods to the regular Ubuntu then I can always switch later if I decide I want it.

niem102, Aug 20, 2008
  15. Wolfgang

axcairns

For those wondering whether Netbook Remix is worth it, consider the following screenshot -

[​IMG]

Thanks to Netbook Remix and a couple of firefox extensions I have saved about 96 pixels of vertical screen space -

• Title bar merged into top panel[/*:m:254zcq2e]
    • Bottom panel removed[/*:m:254zcq2e]
    • Firefox menu replaced by buttons on toolbar (Personal Menu extension)[/*:m:254zcq2e]
    • Firefox status bar auto-hides (autoHide status bar extension)[/*:m:254zcq2e]

96 pixels out of only 600 is a big chunk of space. Well worth the trouble to install. I like the home screen as well - everything you have in the standard ubuntu menus is there, just in a different layout. If you really can´t abide it then you can keep using the normal menu.

Allan

axcairns, Aug 22, 2008
  16. Wolfgang

glibdud

The same thing can be accomplished pretty easily without Netbook Remix. On my EeePC I consolidated the two panels into one and set it to autohide. All in all, the desktop environment only takes up 3 pixels of vertical space (and you could probably get rid of those if you don't mind the hidden panel being completely invisible). Playing with font sizes and Firefox extensions shrunk the overhead there down to a pretty diminutive title bar and one line of menus/buttons/address bar (similar to yours, but even skinnier, mostly because the EeePC screen is even smaller).

glibdud, Aug 22, 2008
  17. Wolfgang

martymcr

I've got the remix working on my One and like most of it, but want to add some exceptions to Maximus - e.g. for site xxx don't maximise the window - this is annoying when sites use small popups for online messages etc.

Has anyone worked out a way to do this? Read something that says it's possible, but can't find any documentation that tells me how!

martymcr, Aug 22, 2008
  18. Wolfgang

Kenzyh

Well you can always use Adblock+ and Adblock+ filter uploader- extensions in Firefox, those two will keep the popups away, perfectly..

Kenzyh, Aug 23, 2008
  19. Wolfgang

martymcr

Probably didn't explain myself - on some sites, I want popups for messages, and don't want them maximised.

martymcr, Aug 23, 2008
  20. Wolfgang

Kenzyh

Yeah, in that case the maximize-function sucks. I've already used to hit the alt+f5 to recall the window size if the maximized window doesn't work that well, I think that figuring out a way to customize the maximus in a way you mean, would take a lot of time from the people working on the netbook remix-team :)

Kenzyh, Aug 23, 2008
Ask a Question