Ubuntu Netbook Remix?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Wolfgang, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Wolfgang

axcairns

Fair enough. I prefer to have my panel and app switcher/taskbar visible at all times.

I really like Netbook Remix´s approach. The merging of the title bar and panel is really innovative and also solves the problem of too many open apps clogging up the taskbar. Maximus has some work to do. They really need to move the exclude list out into a config file so people can tweak it.

Allan

EDIT - looks like there is a gconf config item in /apps/maximus/exclude_class which allows you to add more apps you don´t want maximised

axcairns, Aug 23, 2008
  2. Wolfgang

martymcr

Thanks for the tip - tried creating a file in this folder (presume it's "usr/share/apps/maximus/"?) but maximus doesn't seem to see it (I killed maximus and restarted it). Has anyone got this working?

Thanks

martymcr, Aug 23, 2008
  3. Wolfgang

whizpup

ISO of Ubuntu Netbook Remix?

IF anyone gets their Aspire One humming nicely with Netbook Remix... maybe posting thee ISO of it would be tremendous?? Upload a torrent or.... It would be greatly appreciated by those less skilled and newer to Linux users such as myself. Would be a big boost in helping spread the word and weaning the planet off of Microsofts crap... maybeee... :)

whizpup, Aug 24, 2008
  4. Wolfgang

axcairns

It's not a filesystem entry. Gconf is similar to the windows registry.

Open a terminal and type

Code:
    gconf-editor
    Navigate to apps/maximus in the tree and you will find a configuration item called exclude_class. Double click on it and you will see that it is a list of strings which you can add to. Add the name of the app you don't want to maximise and restart maximus

Allan

axcairns, Aug 26, 2008
  5. Wolfgang

mista2

I've gone part way. I played with the launcher but it is currently too slow and too unstable with desktop effects enabled, but maximize and the window picker applet in a single panel work great.
    I just added Cairo-dock and a nice OSX theme (I like the shiny buttons and aluminum look) and I'm good to go.

[attachment=0:2g92mdl0]Desktop.jpg[/attachment:2g92mdl0]

mista2, Sep 16, 2008
Ask a Question