Ubuntu SSD fix?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Indiana_Geoff, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Indiana_Geoff

Indiana_Geoff

What are the chances that the Ubuntu community is going to be able to fix the SSD problem anytime soon?

My Aspire comes in today and I would rather use Ubuntu over the stock Operating System. Part of my goal for this machine is to get comfortable with Linux. However, I am not wanting to compromise on Hibernate or Sleep or have to take out the SSD everytime I close the lid.

What are the thoughts on the short and long term fix for this problem?

Are there flavors of Linux that are as "standard" as Ubuntu without the SSD issues?

Indiana_Geoff, Feb 10, 2009
  2. Indiana_Geoff

jeffyeh

I'm not sure what "SSD problems" you're referring to. I have an AAO with the 8GB SSD, running Ubuntu 8.10 with suspend/hibernate enabled. While I rarely hibernate (I did test it just to see if it worked), this netbook is constantly suspended between classes or even during class to save battery.

However, since you said "take out the SSD everytime I close the lid," I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're talking about the "Storage Expansion" SD slot. I'm not exactly sure what fixed my problem (it's been a while since I've messed with my install), but it was definitely either the fixes from the card reader section at the Ubuntu community documents or sickboy's kernel.

My left reader is hot swappable, works with suspend and hibernate with no problem. However, I haven't had time to try to get the right one working, though I'm pretty sure it's possible.

Community Docs: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Aspir ... %20Readers

jeffyeh, Feb 10, 2009
  3. Indiana_Geoff

Indiana_Geoff

Your correct. It would be the Storage Expansion SD slot issue.

4. Indiana_Geoff

jeffyeh

Yeah, I would go ahead and install sickboy's kernel (if not just for the SD slot fix) and see if it fixes all of it (if someone could chime in here who knows about sickboy's latest release and whether it builds in SD card support, that'd be great). Otherwise, follow the instructions at the community pages. There's several links there for further reading as well.

jeffyeh, Feb 10, 2009
  5. Indiana_Geoff

Indiana_Geoff

Thanks,

I found sickboy's thread. Now I have something to do this week. :D

Ask a Question