Ubuntu USB Install Fail

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Poor, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Poor

Poor

Here is the long and the short of it.
    I am running an Acer One 110 shipped with XP.

I made a bootable USB of Ubuntu Ibex.

I booted from the USB to to install.

At around 94% the installer crashed. I can't recall the error message. (Helpful, I know.)

XP still runs fine, so does Ubuntu when booted from USB (still have to hit f12, no boot menu)

My question is, being a linux noob and one that has shied away from working with partitions his whole life, I ask this;

Even thoough the install failed, did ubuntu make a lame duck partition on my SSD? (8G) Should I simply redownload and copy the ubuntu iso and try again? Do I have to use my xp recovery disc to recover the system and try again?

FYI: In XP in my computer I only see the 'C' drive, no partitions are visible. Im not sure if XP could see a linux partition. This is what is causing my confusion.

Finally, what would have caused the crash at 94%? I have searched for these answers on the forum (oh so long) and havent come up with any. I'm sorry if this has been answered already. You can message me the link and delete this.

Thanks.

Poor, Jan 3, 2009
  2. Poor

Andysan

Hi there,

If i were you, I'd start over.

If you want to dual boot then i would reimage your HDD and reinstall Ubuntu, else just install Ubuntu again. Your install probably failed because of poor media, are you using a cheap flash drive? I was, in the end i used a 1GB Memory Stick Pro Duo from my PSP and a USB card reader and that worked fine.

Good luck!

Andysan, Jan 3, 2009
  3. Poor

hillsoft

Just to be sure I follow.

When you booted your Ubuntu livecd on your USB key did it boot fully and then you ran the installation program and that failed at 92%?

Or did just booting from the livecd fail so you were never able to get the livecd up to double click on the install icon?

If the latter nothing on your SSD should have changed.

But if you did double click the install icon after booting the livecd and got 92% through the installation, the installer more than likely modified your SSD's partitions however you instructed it.

In either situation it sounds like either a bad install of the livecd to the USB stick, or possibly a bad USB stick.

hillsoft, Jan 3, 2009
  4. Poor

Poor

Thanks for the help, guys.

The boot usb ran fine and I was able to run the install program. The installer is what failed.

So, I will use the recovery cd to start over fresh, then.

I don't plan on keeping windows, I would prefer to run just ubuntu in the end, but that is another question for another day.

Poor, Jan 3, 2009
  5. Poor

Poor

An update.

After snooping around, looking for the partition that the installer supposedly made, it looks like it put ubuntu on the 8gig sd card that was in the memory expansion port.

It would seem it would be ok to try and install again without the sd inserted so it installed directly to the ssd 8gig.

I have dl'ed another copy of ubuntu, hardy heron this time, and used md5 to check if the dl was ok (I forgot to do this before) it is ok.

I cleared out the garbage from windows, so I have just under 4 gigs free on the ssd, what partition option should I choose in the installer?

Thanks!

Poor, Jan 4, 2009
  6. Poor

Poor

Final Update.

Success! I installed without the SD card and everything was much simpler. I have dual boot functioning perfectly. Now, to get wifi working...

Poor, Jan 4, 2009
  7. Poor

IndyGunFreak

You should have the Atheros AR242x chipset... Assuming you can get non-wireless internet access for a couple minutes, its pretty easy.

Go to System/Admin/Hardware Drivers -- Disable "Support for Atheros 802.11 wireless lan cards"
    Restart
    Open a terminal and type : sudo aptitude install linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic
    Restart

Wifi should be working.

If you can't get wired access, the linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic , should be on the thumb drive somewhere, you'll just have to go through the files and find it. Then double clicking it should install it (hopefully, my results doing it this way have been mixed)

IGF

IndyGunFreak, Jan 4, 2009
Ask a Question