Ubuntu Wifi HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Super Bloob, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Super Bloob

Super Bloob

Hello I recently installed ubuntu onto my aspire one I love the operating system but my wifi isnt working can you guys please help.

Super Bloob, Jan 27, 2009
  2. Super Bloob

lklaus

Well, which version of ubuntu did you install? One native, or the Netbook Remix or Easy-Peasy? You should have a network icon on some panel. Just right click on it and choose new network connection. There you can fill in the details. If you can't find that, please send more information from your install

Klaus

lklaus, Jan 27, 2009
  3. Super Bloob

Super Bloob

well I installed the one from the ubuntu site it was 8.10. I go to network then there is a windows network icon i click on it then there is nothing.

Super Bloob, Jan 27, 2009
  4. Super Bloob

lklaus

Ok, 8.10 is fine, it's the same "level" I'm using (Easy Peasy 1.0). If you click with the right button of the touchpad/mouse, a menu should open. If not, that's very strange.
    Can you open a terminal? Can you check whether the nm-applet runs? (in the terminal type ps -ef | grep nm-applet)

lklaus, Jan 27, 2009
  5. Super Bloob

spinnekopje

Have you got the linux backport modules installed (use synaptic to find it)? Once that package is installed you can enable the 5xxx driver in the restricted drivers menu and after reboot you should have wireless.
    For me that didn't work perfect, but in that case you still can choose to install the kernel sickboy compiled or install madwifi, although that last option needs some commandline work. Last option is to compile a kernel yourself which I did, but I recommend to try the other options first.

spinnekopje, Jan 27, 2009
  6. Super Bloob

lklaus

I installed EP, which is based on 8.10, and did not need to fiddle either with kernel compile or backported modules. I got wireless out of the box, even though probably not at 100%. But it works nevertheless... Not that I wouldn't dare compile a kernel ;-), but I do have enough machines that might need this ...

lklaus, Jan 27, 2009
Ask a Question