Ubuntu WiFi

Discussion in 'Linux' started by acid, Sep 22, 2008.

1. acid

acid

Alright, I'm sure a lot of people are going to try to refer me to another forum post but please read this thoroughly.

The current Ubuntu guide in this forum was great, kudos. Unfortunately, the path to the madwifi drivers it talks about is outdated and has been replaced by a folder with a readme giving instructions on where to find the new madwifi drivers. I'm not sure exactly when this path became invalid but it now makes the guide/forum post obsolete. I tried to look for updates further in the post but I didn't not see any updates or corrections.

http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/FirstTimeHowTo

This is the guide that goes along with the new MadWifi-0.9.4 drivers, I followed them and everything went fine until the end. I noticed that I didn't have an "ath0". I did all of the troubleshooting steps including restarted and of course yes I did make sure to load the module and also I checked to see if by error "ath0" was assigned a different name other than "ath0". So far I've had no luck, as far as I knew the install went without an hitch and I couldn't find an single error message, I also loaded the module again without problems. The troubleshooting steps on the website have taken me no where and since I'm sure there has

So currently all I have is "lo" (the loopback) and "eth0"

Can anyone help me out there?

acid, Sep 22, 2008
  2. acid

scottro

I'm not sure if those drivers work with this card.

Although a couple of people have *NOT* had success with this link, I'm still going to give you a link to my own page about it.
    http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu ... .html#5007

(The driver compiled and installed for them, but wouldn't although it saw the networks.)

Despite their lack of success with it (only two people) I've had enough people have it work for them that I'm optimistically recommending it still.

scottro, Sep 22, 2008
  3. acid

acid

Thanks scottro =D

I'll try it out tomorrow morning and tell everyone how it goes.

acid, Sep 23, 2008
  4. acid

jbernardo

The 0.9.4 drivers are from February, the latest snapshot is from September, you can download it from http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6/. And since today's kernel update seems to have broken wifi, I am building this snapshot to see if it fixes it. If not, I can always go back to the 0801 snapshot, which worked well.

jbernardo, Sep 23, 2008
  5. acid

lusephur

lusephur, Sep 23, 2008
  6. acid

acid

Yep this solved it all.

All that was left to do was to add ath_pci to /etc/modprobe/modules and I was set. Thank you.

acid, Sep 25, 2008
Ask a Question