UK Buyers beware

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by redbook, Sep 11, 2009.

1. redbook

redbook

Hi all,
    I bought a new AO751h - 52Br yesterday and was greatly impressed by the advertised specs both labled on the machine and on the box.

1. I was a little surprised when the assistant assured me it was a dual core atom as I thought all atoms were single core, I told him this was due to hyper-threading, he then assured me they had checked with acer and it was dual core. I was right, he was wrong.... SINGLE CORE WITH HYPER THREADING 1.33 GHZ.

2. The label on the machine advertises 8+ hours battery life and bluetooth. Ok but its a shame that you only get 8 hours with a 6 cell battery and the machine ships with a 3 cell battery therefore 4 hours max. Also bluetooth is not included.

3. On the box it advertises 3G (small print says subject to availability, I assumed this meant available networks), Anyway when the box is opened and the manual read 3G is certain models only. So another let down.

These things not being included on the device would not have stopped me buying the machine but I wish acer had not built up my expectations with misleading packaging and that store staff could be properly trained and informed (wishful thinking I know).

So in retrospect do not let this message put you off buying one unless the above functions are essential to you, believe me it is still an excellent machine for the price if a little underpowered.

PS. why have acer dropped linux machines in favour of all windows machines, I now have to buy yet another copy of windows I don't want and won't use.

redbook, Sep 11, 2009
  2. redbook

redbook

You would only get 8 hours if it shipped with the 6 cell battery, it does not it ships with a 3 cell battery. So 8 hours is possible but at an additional expense.

redbook, Sep 12, 2009
  3. redbook

melhiore

I'm not getting something. If you are UK customer, you bought something which you are not happy with what's stopping you from returning that product??

melhiore, Sep 12, 2009
  4. redbook

redbook

Please read what I wrote, I did not say I was not happy with the machine, I said I was disappointed with the misleading labling.

redbook, Sep 13, 2009
  5. redbook

Dave

Dave, Sep 18, 2009
  6. redbook

redbook

Hi all,

Further disappointment, guess wot it hung whilst browsing, would not switch off so I had to remove the battery and power. Guess wot, no boot (bios dead just like the early 8.9" versions). Wot a shame it all looked so promising, By the way I could not recover bios even with acers recommended utility.

redbook, Sep 18, 2009
Ask a Question