UNABLE to get ANY EXTERNAL device to boot

Discussion in 'Linux' started by adonian, May 4, 2009.

1. adonian

adonian

Ok, I have Ubuntu 9 netbook remix on a usb stick, it works on ALL my other pc's, but this darn One wont boot from any of the usb prots. I have set usb cd as first boot, and tried it with my burned dvd, gave up, made a bootable usb stick, it wont boot, it just goes to the hard drive and starts freakin XP EVERY TIME.

I want to quad boot windows 7, xp, osx and ubuntu, but this thing wont boot from external devices!

Any ideas whats wrong?

adonian, May 4, 2009
  2. adonian

BazookaAce

Which method are you using to make the bootable USB? Unetbootin?

BazookaAce, May 5, 2009
  3. adonian

adonian

I downloaded from ubuntu.com and burned the .img file using image burn. The disk is recognizable in my Dell inspiron 1525, and my desk tops, but the Aspire One wont boot from usb dvd drive or even the bootable usb stick i made, I'm confused. :?
    I followed the instructions for the usb stick on ubuntu. Which is to use win32 image writer?

here's the page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... omImgFiles

adonian, May 6, 2009
  4. adonian

BazookaAce

BazookaAce, May 6, 2009
  5. adonian

mindhack

Did you set the partition flag as bootable?

mindhack, May 6, 2009
  6. adonian

adonian

BazookaAce, i'll try that.
    mindhack, you lost me. I used to just burn the images I wanted to use, and set the boot device where I needed it, and that always worked... well it worked with gOs and Ubuntu 8, I haven't used anything else before them.
    I will admit, I feel pretty stupid because I want to just put Ubuntu on there for fun so I can learn linux, but I kind of need wireless to work, thats why I went back to xp, I couldn't get it to work with gOs or Ubuntu 8, and they say that it works out of the box in Ubuntu 9, thus I want to install it so I can learn linux, I'm tired of winblows.

adonian, May 7, 2009
  7. adonian

mindhack

Don't feel stupid, we all started somewhere (or nowhere).

A partition must has a boot flag, to be bootable. In linux you use fdisk or gParted to do this. In windows...I don't remember.

I am not sure if unetbootin and imagewriter do this by defaul, can anyone else provide some input on this?

Also check the md5sum of the image your trying to write, make sure it wasn't corrupt.

mindhack, May 7, 2009
  8. adonian

BazookaAce

Have you tried formating the USB-pen? Remember it should be FAT32.

BazookaAce, May 7, 2009
  9. adonian

adonian

I got it to work with external dvd, I didn't have enough power with the slim line external to boot from, so I used a full size, plug in one and it worked fine, boy do I feel like a total tard :oops:

adonian, May 9, 2009
Ask a Question