Unable to launch Firefox

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sylviag, Jan 16, 2011.

1. sylviag

sylviag

Good morning,

For the last couple of days, I have been unable to open Firefox as I get the 'restore or start a new session' window and when I select either one, nothing happens. Both connections (wi-fi or dongle) work fine but unable to launch browser. With the dongle connection, I have reset the primary DNS with the sudo mousepad /etc/resolv.conf...command but still no change. I can't think of anything that could have caused it. Any idea? Apologies if this isn't the right place for this post.

I have an AAO bought in 2008, OS Linus Lite. My other machine connects fine.

Thank you

sylviag, Jan 16, 2011
  2. sylviag

donec

Have you tried to launch it in safe mode? If you have a firefox link just add " -safemode" to the end of the command (don't forget the space) without the quotation marks. If it works then it could be one of your extensions and it is possible that if it is just something messed up with the session then this could fix it. At least it has for me when I have had such problems, which has not been often.

donec, Jan 16, 2011
  3. sylviag

sylviag

Hi, thanks. I have tried to launch it in safe mode via the run program (is this what you meant? I am not that familiar with Linux yet) and it still opens the restore session window with the same result.
    For ref, I have: AA1 A150L / Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz / 1GB / 120GB / 8.9" / Linux.
    Thank you

sylviag, Jan 17, 2011
  4. sylviag

sylviag

It DID work, so now I can open the browser in safe mode but not in normal mode. When I try to launch it, I don't have the restore session window anymore however, still nothing is happening.
    Thank you

sylviag, Jan 17, 2011
  5. sylviag

donec

After trying safe mode did you remove the -safemode and try again? If you lost the session manager then you may need to upgrade either your session manager or Firefox or try a different session manager. I like the one that comes with the Tab Mix Plus extension...
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-mix-plus/
    I find it works better than the one built into Firefox.

donec, Jan 17, 2011
Ask a Question