unable to update

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lufc, Mar 10, 2011.

1. lufc

lufc

I had a problem with my acer110 ZG5 when it would not load as it stuck on the black screen after the bios page. I reloaded the system with a USB stick made from the original back up CD. Now the system appears to work OK but I can not receive updates,also when I try to run anything through terminal nothing seems to happen.I have copied and pasted all of the data in Macles to try to udate firefox,download VLC or get liveupdates but nothing happens.Am I stuck with the outdated version of Linpus. Anybody any suggestions,

lufc, Mar 10, 2011
  2. lufc

donec

I believe your only option is to change your OS (Operating System). I recommend Linux Mint for ease of use and functionality. It is not the fastest distro but is IMO currently the best and it works without any modifications on my AAO ZG5.

donec, Mar 10, 2011
  3. lufc

lufc

OK,Thanks for that tip.I have already tried to load Linux mint 8 but when I tested it for compatability it froze on the green mint screen.Which version do you recommend?

lufc, Mar 12, 2011
  4. lufc

donec

donec, Mar 12, 2011
  5. lufc

sirwiggum

I tried the live CD of Mint from my desktop machine to use the gparted tool.

One thing I noticed was for some reason the "start button" equivalent from the bottom panel did not start. Not sure if this is an AAO 150 issue but I haven't seen it on the desktop.

Truth be told I like Linpus, it seems to be very quick and easy just to fire up and browse the internet in a matter of seconds. I have kept it as a collection of 3 OSs I can boot in to (Linpus, OSX, XP).

Live Update stopped about a year and a half ago. I am looking to install Firefox 4, and install a driver for the replacement Broadcom wireless card. I will look to perform these manually, using Fedora 8 equivalents, and update the desktop XML to point to FF4.

sirwiggum, Apr 20, 2011
  6. lufc

donec

I believe Firefox 4 generally breaks Linpus.

donec, Apr 20, 2011
  7. lufc

PCNetSpec

PCNetSpec, May 19, 2011
  8. lufc

PCNetSpec

PCNetSpec, Aug 17, 2011
Ask a Question