under F14 LXDE: switch off with power button

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Winfried, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Winfried

Winfried

How can I manage to switch off the netbook with the power button?

Winfried, Aug 5, 2011
  2. Winfried

RockDoctor

It seems that half the time I try that trick (I just hold the power switch down for about 10 seconds and my AA1 turns itself off), I corrupt the filesystem. Initially it was more like every time, and now corruption is rare - not sure if it's the move to ext4 or just dumb luck.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to get Fedora (or any other distro) to initiate a clean shutdown when the power switch is pressed. You might try asking on the Fedora mailing list - many of those folks are much more knowledgeable than I.

RockDoctor, Aug 27, 2011
  3. Winfried

Winfried

Thanks Rockdoctor. Yes I know that this works but for me its only the last resort if the system is hanging.
    I thought that somebody knows how to connect the power button with the regular meny for shutting down. But it seems not to be obvious. So I live with clicking on the shutdown icon. Thanks.

Winfried, Aug 27, 2011
  4. Winfried

meine

the power button seems not to be programmable with some standard tool in LXDE. the file ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml however holds a lot of keybinds. if you link a keybind to the Logout program and trigger a specific task it should work.

other more complicated coding (for me) you can find at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=94516 -- it seems to work? other links point to here --> http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=205

happy coding!

//meine

meine, Aug 30, 2011
Ask a Question