unetbookin and missing packages

Discussion in 'Linux' started by juniper, Sep 1, 2008.

1. juniper

juniper

Hey Guys:

I would like to install a different distro of Linux on my AAI using unetbookin. The program was recommended by a friend. Thing is, once I load unetbookin up, it tells me its missing a few packages needed to be able to work properly. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used unetbookin on an AA1, or if anyone knows how to or where to find these missing packages in order to make it work properly.

They are:

util-linux
    udev
    mtools
    p7zipfull (this one, I wrote it down, but I can't fully understand what I wrote. Sorry! But its a pkg for 7z)

I used yumex and tried to find udev. It's there, but it wont install b/c of a conflict with notify-daemon (or something). util-linux is installed but its "util-lunix-ng". I haven't tried to find the other two packages on yumex tbh. udev and util-linux seem to be the most important.

BTW: I ignored the messages and tried to install Xubuntu but it didnt do anything. It told me to reboot, but it didnt do anything when I rebooted.

I really need some help. I removed Firefox 2 and it took away some important xfce files I think. I've tried everything, I've had a lot of help from my online buddies, but nothing seems to work. Linux Linpus seems like a very restricted distro, so I'd like to get something else for more room to stretch out. I am a Linux noob, yes, but I am learning! Thanks for the help!!

juniper, Sep 1, 2008
  2. juniper

surfbum

I've got almost the same problem. Udev and p7zip-full are apparently not there...

Which is strange, because udev is an essential system component and I successfully installed p7zip through yum. Unetbootin seems to work anyway: i can start the software and download the live isos. However, unetbootin skips the extracting step, which is probably due to the missing "p7zip-full"?

Any help much appreciated! Thanks!

surfbum, Sep 2, 2008
  3. juniper

woofer00

I installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 Live distro by USB using the unetbootin download into an XP Home/HardyHeron dual boot. I didn't have any problems at all, followed the guide posted on the forum and had no issues. Some strange messages when suspending, but no actual problems here.

woofer00, Sep 2, 2008
  4. juniper

surfbum

I can get Unetbootin to work without trouble under Ubuntu on another laptop as well, just under Linpus it's not working. Can anyone advise on how to install the p7zip-full package?

Thanks.

surfbum, Sep 3, 2008
  5. juniper

surfbum

Anyone have any suggestions, esp. in regards to the p7zip-full? :?:

surfbum, Sep 7, 2008
Ask a Question