UNetBootIn and syslinux.cfg

Discussion in 'Linux' started by gerrynuk, Oct 13, 2008.

1. gerrynuk

gerrynuk

I have created a USB drive using UNetBootIn with the AA1 recovery image which I can boot from. But what I think is happening is that the AA1 loads the image into memory instead of onto the hard drive.

The syslinux file is:

default vesamenu.c32
    prompt 0
    menu title UNetbootin
    timeout 100

label unetbootindefault
    menu label Default
    kernel /ubnkern
    append initrd=/ubninit

and the name of the image is aa1_usb_recovery_image

When the USB is booted I get a menu with one option - "Default" and the timeout recycles every 10 secs. If I press TAB I get a prompt and I then type the name of the image file - as above - aa1_usb_recovery_image. Pressing return then starts the loading - lots of dots appear on the screen - and then a message indicating that there is insufficient memory.

Can anyone please advise a newbie what I need to do?

Gerry

gerrynuk, Oct 13, 2008
  2. gerrynuk

scottro

Assuming that unetbootlin reported that the image was successfully put on the USB stick, you should just be able to hit enter when "Default" is highlighted and have it boot.

However, with the recovery DVD you don't need unetbootin. Just put in the DVD and let the machine boot from it--it should give you a message to put in a USB stick with a button to click to choose to install it to the USB stick.

Then, when you boot the machine from the USB, it should give you an option to recover the system, giving the usual warning that it will overwrite everything on there.

scottro, Oct 13, 2008
  3. gerrynuk

gerrynuk

Thanks. The Aspire One doesn't have a DVD drive so I need to boot from the USB drive.

I am told that the files I have on the USB drive should include a kernel so I am starting from scratch but I am groping in the dark at present.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Gerry

gerrynuk, Oct 13, 2008
  4. gerrynuk

gerrynuk

gerrynuk, Oct 13, 2008
Ask a Question