Uni VPN on Linpus Lite

Discussion in 'Linux' started by linuxnovice, Feb 27, 2009.

1. linuxnovice

linuxnovice

Hi, im an absolute linux novice so please go easy on me. Bought an acer aspire one off ebay for uni work and pretty pleased with most aspects of it but cant connect to the Uni network when i take it in with me. The uni uses a VPN and has a help page (docking.ncl.ac.uk). The page has linux support but cant seem to get any of thier soultions to work. Also been trawling across the net for any other solutions but noy joy. My only option it seemed was to change OS, i was going to try this but after a quick attempt im locked out of BIOS, its asking for a password i havent set and the seller aparently hasnt set one either so i cant even change OS. So please please please does anyone have any ideas how to connect via a VPN? And remember im a complete novice so if you can please explain it as simple as possible.

Many thanks, and if this doesnt work ill just have to try and sell it on.

linuxnovice, Feb 27, 2009
  2. linuxnovice

daldred

Theres a thread here which tells you how to install a newer version of Network Manager which will connect to WPA Enterprise networks; I've installed that and the application appears to provide for VPN connections too. I can't confirm it works as I have no VPN to test it on!

If you're locked out of the BIOS, does that mean you can't even start the machine?

daldred, Feb 27, 2009
  3. linuxnovice

linuxnovice

Hi, thanks for youre help. No by locked out i mean whren i try and go into bios by pressing f2 when it boots up it asks for a password so i cant get any further to cahge OS. Like i said thanks ill give this a go.

linuxnovice, Feb 27, 2009
  4. linuxnovice

daldred

If you don't mind opening up your AAO, try this thread for a way round the password problem.

daldred, Feb 27, 2009
  5. linuxnovice

nicozhang

Hi

I wrote a small tutorial on how to install a vpn for universities. They most work with the vpnc, that is compatible to the cisco vpn client, which is very secure.
    If you have any questions feel free to contact me! Have lots of fun with your new linux box... :)

And here is the Link:
    http://nicozhang.blogspot.com/2009/02/acer-aspire-one-vpnc-tutorial.html

nicozhang, Feb 28, 2009
Ask a Question