Uninstalling Internet Browsers

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Thomask, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Thomask

Thomask

Hi

Several weeks ago I unsucessfully tried downloading and installing an updated version of Firefox (to replace the current one on my system), Google Chrome and another browser which I forget now.

Basically none of the installs were sucessful. It's been a while since I attempted to install these so can't remember exactly what the issues were however I want to remove them all (or at least the downloaded files) from my system so I can start clean and perhaps try again. Can someone please be kind enough to list all the areas of my netbook which I should check for signs of these programs?

Thanks in advance.

Thomask, Apr 5, 2010
  2. Thomask

RockDoctor

If you installed the rpm packages, then in a terminal sudo rpm -e firefox and sudo rpm -e chrome will do the trick. If you installed using an install program from a tar.gz or similar file, then take a look in /opt and /usr/local for directories named firefox or chrome (possibly with version numbers) that you can just delete

RockDoctor, Apr 5, 2010
  3. Thomask

ranmat

I would advise against uninstalling firefox, as acer has made specific changes. If you do uninstall firefox, the emal program and the rss reader, and possibly more will stop working. Uninstalling other browsers is fine though.

ranmat, Apr 13, 2010
Ask a Question