Unintended switch to Windows

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Treehugger, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Treehugger

Treehugger

I wanted a very lightweight netbook to take with me when I travel, and decided on the AA1 with an 8.9" screen and Linpus Linux Lite. It was hard to find one with Linux instead of Windows, but I finally found an inexpensive refurbished one. Unfortunately it was defective, so I sent it to Revonate Manufacturing, where they apparently do the refurbishing. The replacement arrived today, but it was loaded with Windows XP instead of Linux.

I chose Linux,despite a total lack of familiarity with it, out of general disgust with Windows, and a desire to see if there's anything to all the hoopla about Linux. So now I'm not sure what to do. How difficult would it be for someone like me, who likes to use a computer but doesn't have a clue about its inner workings, to remove Windows and install Linux in its place?

While I waited for my replacement to arrive, I tried to learn a little about Linux on the internet. Apparently installing programs is much more complicated with Linux than with Windows. Not that I want to put a whole lot on it, just a few applications that will be useful when I travel: Would I be able to install Skype, Wifi Radar, and a couple of ebook guides to whatever country I might be visiting?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Harriett

Treehugger, Sep 10, 2009
  2. Treehugger

garrovick

Ubuntu is pretty simple. It comes with a bunch of ready to use software. You should go to the Ubuntu forums and look up the names of the software you might like to use. I've used Ubuntu for several months, but for my needs, Windows XP (or next month Windows 7) is the better OS. There is a reason why only 2 to 4 percent of computer users are using Linux.

garrovick, Sep 11, 2009
  3. Treehugger

RockDoctor

I run both Fedora and Ubuntu on my AA1; as long as I stick with the stable releases, everything seems to work properly. If you've got one of the hard drive versions of the AA1 and it comes back with Windows XP on it, I recommend setting it up to dual boot Windows and Linux.

RockDoctor, Sep 11, 2009
  4. Treehugger

Treehugger

My original, defective, computer had a solid state drive, but your mentioning hard drive makes me wonder what's in the replacement. How can I tell? I looked at Disk Drives under Device Manager and found "ST9160310AS." Does that tell me anything? (There's a reason I'm posting in the beginners section!)

Harriett

Treehugger, Sep 12, 2009
  5. Treehugger

garrovick

Momentus 5400.5 SATA 3Gb/s 160-GB Hard Drive

Based on the number you posted

garrovick, Sep 12, 2009
  6. Treehugger

Treehugger

Should I be pleased, annoyed, or unconcerned that they switched my solid state drive for a hard drive? And is there an advantage in having two operating systems on the same computer?
    H.

Treehugger, Sep 12, 2009
  7. Treehugger

ecmasonjr

That's somewhat a matter of personal opinion and preferences. I'd be delighted.

I've elected to leave my netbook strictly Windows for now, however I do dual boot my home computer, Linux and XP. The reason I'm set up that way is that I absolutely despise Windows, however there are applications that I must run occasionally that I haven't been able to find a good substitute for in Linux.

ecmasonjr, Sep 12, 2009
  8. Treehugger

RockDoctor

Don't worry, be happy :lol: :lol:

Dual booting lets you use Windows when you want to, and Linux the rest of the time. Or vice versa :D Definitely a good thing. However, if you plan on subjecting your AA1 to unusually excessive accelerations, then the advantages of an SSD would probably outweigh whatever advantages there are to dual-booting.

Even though I'm primarily a Linux user, I went for the HDD version of the AA1 because of the extra storage space - 120GB (with Windows XP) on the hard drive vs. an 8GB SSD with Linpus.

RockDoctor, Sep 12, 2009
  9. Treehugger

Treehugger

I'm sure I don't want to subject my darling little netbook to "unusually excessive accelerations". If you'll tell me what they are, I'll do my best to avoid them. :)
    H.

Treehugger, Sep 12, 2009
  10. Treehugger

garrovick

In reality, not much to worry about. I've carried an iPod 5.5 Video with a hard drive around for over 2 and a half years. I, personally, would be more worried about cracking the screen.

garrovick, Sep 12, 2009
Ask a Question