UNR 9.04 1st impressions & list of queries

Discussion in 'Linux' started by simbeb, May 1, 2009.

1. simbeb

simbeb

I have installed the official release of Ubuntu Netbook Remix alongside my installation of Tiny XP SP3. i am aiming at a 100% Linux AA1 but I want to sort out all the issues first. It might takes months or more especially because I'm a complete newbie with anything Linux, but i am in no rush... Here are my first comments and queries:

-SD card not hot pluggable issue:I read that all it took was to update the BIOS to v3309 to sort this out: it didn’t do anything.. At least I’ve got the latest BIOS! If you do have another solution, please let me know – and If I need to use the terminal, be specific, I am an absolute beginner!

-Swap partition:Following advice from Melhiore, I reduced it to 1gb (my RAM is 1.5gb) as I was running out of space on the UNR system partition ( I have a dual install of XP and UNR on the 8gb ssd, so compromises need to be made!) It does not affect the system as hibernation should never be used anyway.

-Desktop:How do I keep the wallpaper I have chosen for it? Every time I reboot, the default wallpaper comes back.How annoying.
    How do you change the default folders listed in the right-hand side panel? I haven’t got space to use the ssd as a files drive so I use the sd in the left slot, and I’d like to map the folders on it to that panel (permanently.)

-Apps:Has anyone tried to install Truecrypt? If so, please give me a shout.
    Evolution: I uninstalled it along with plenty other apps to make room on my tiny ssd but the logo remains in the favorites and I can’t get rid of it!

-Peripherals:The only thing that doesn’t work is my all-in-one wireless printer. I have a Lexmark X4550. Spent hours surfing the web to find a driver or a way around to make the system work with the printer: I always end up with the same conclusion: my printer is a paperweight with Linux. If you do have more positive info, let me know. I would pay to have a Linux driver made for that printer. That’s how desperate I am!

simbeb, May 1, 2009
  2. simbeb

csmo

I can't help you with all the issues, but I'll try to address a few:

-SD card not hot pluggable issue:
    This is a known issue/bug. For now the only way to make them hot-pluggable is by leaving the left SD card in the slot before booting up.

-Swap partition:
    With 1.5 Gb RAM you can safely remove the SWAP partition and use the space for something more important.

-Apps:
    Evolution does indeed leave an icon after uninstalling the app. It's probably because a library is dependant on both an Evolution package and another program as well and thus leaves it hanging there. Anyway, in short, go to "Main Menu" under "Preferences" and untick Evolution from "Office" and/or "Favorites" (Items in your Favorite Menu can be removed by right-clicking icons and choosing "remove"). Then it disappears from your menu. The "Main Menu" is an easy and intuitive way of setting up the application menus (to the left) just the way you want them to appear. Drag and drop and tick and untick to your liking. :)

csmo, May 1, 2009
  3. simbeb

csmo

About the wallpaper disappearing after each reboot. Could it be that your wallpaper file is located on an SD card (which is not recognized after a reboot)? If so, try copying the picture to a folder within the file system and grab it from there. It might solve the problem. Please let us know how you proceed. :)

csmo, May 1, 2009
  4. simbeb

csmo

In file manager (click "Home" from the right main menu) you can drag folders from different locations to the left panel "Places" and the shortcuts should then appear in the right pane view.

csmo, May 1, 2009
  5. simbeb

csmo

csmo, May 1, 2009
  6. simbeb

simbeb

Sd card slot:
    Do you experts think it is possible that Ubuntu eventually come up with an update or a version to correct the issue?

swap parttition:
    I thought so, but wanted to stay on the safe side. I guess it isn't possible to reallocate the swap partition by merging it with the system partition without having to reinstall everything?

Thank you for the tip about Evolution. So obvious I could not come up with that solution. A-Star.

simbeb, May 1, 2009
  7. simbeb

simbeb

Doesn't work with folders located on the left sd card. Unless you click the sd card's drive icon on the side panel, the folders previously mapped won't appear as default. I s'pose there is no solution for that one...

simbeb, May 1, 2009
  8. simbeb

simbeb

You were right: the picture must be placed on the main drive with the OS. That's another A-Star for you csmo!

simbeb, May 1, 2009
  9. simbeb

simbeb

Yeah I had ran across this before. I think the project has been abandoned. Not being able to print from Ubuntu is the last barrier that prevents me from wiping out the XP installation. Nevermind. Cheers mate ;)

simbeb, May 1, 2009
  10. simbeb

csmo

This is because your SD card isn't mounted (recognized) at boot up as explained already, unfortunately. But it'll work if you need shortcuts from your HDD/SSD files. I'm not sure when there'll be a workaround to this. Canonical (Ubuntu) takes the Acer Aspire One very seriously and they are aware of the issue so most likely in the future it will get resolved.

Hope you get your printer driver sorted eventually. It looks a little bleak at the moment though, I guess. Lexmark doesn't seem as keen as other printer vendors to cooperate with Linux. What a shame. Lexmark makes fine products. Perhaps you should write to them and ask why it isn't possible to use their products under Linux?

Otherwise, glad I could help. Have a nice one. :)

csmo, May 1, 2009
  11. simbeb

simbeb

simbeb, May 2, 2009
Ask a Question