UNR, xorg, glx etc

Discussion in 'Linux' started by daldred, May 31, 2009.

1. daldred

daldred

Whilst I like Jaunty UNR, I have a suspicion something isn't right on my X setup.

- If I start glxgears while running UNR, and 'unmaximise' the glxgears window, I get 250-280fps out of it. This seems low.
    - The graphics fall apart if I try any higher than the 'basic' level of visual effects in the 'Appearance' setting on UNR itself - the top panel breaks up and bit of windows are left lying around the screen. Selecting any higher level also takes me through a step in which the machine is apparently looking for drivers, every time.
    - Outside UNR, enabling Compiz is possible, but everything slows down badly.

Can anyone tell me what's likely to be wrong, or is this the general experience?

daldred, May 31, 2009
  2. daldred

m4xr8d

Wow, that does seem pretty darn slow. While I don't use UNR so this might not really apply to it.
    This is the only thing I had to add to my xorg.conf driver section
    Code:
    Option "AccelMethod" "exa"
    Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
    and

Code:
    export INTEL_BATCH=1
    to /etc/profile.

m4xr8d, May 31, 2009
  3. daldred

daldred

Well, that's helped! I now get glxgears showing the 570-580 fps sort of level.

Enabling any higher than basic level of visual effects is still not very satisfactory, though; the panel in particular seem to lose control of the screen entirely. I'm typing this in Firefox with nothing visible above the menu bar apart from the date and time; running the mouse over the panel restores it to visibility, but switching to any other running app send it all weird again!

Any more hints welcome....

daldred, May 31, 2009
Ask a Question