Unresponsive keyboard

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Kig, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Kig

Kig

I find the keyboard misses out letters every few words when I'm typing. It basically makes the keyboard useless, and makes anything involving typing or using keys not worth doing on the netbook.

It seems like the keys are angled slightly wrong, sometimes when you push them in, it doesn't detect it, and you have to push it in directly from above quite firmly. If I want to type with any sort of speed, well, I have to go back and correct words every few words (done it about 50 times while typing this). Even words with 2 of the same letter in, it sometimes doesn't detect one of them, even though I've just tapped the same key twice.

I thought maybe it's just the small keyboard, but I don't think it is, because I am actually pushing the keys, they just aren't being recognised, and I can reproduce it.

Kig, Apr 8, 2009
  2. Kig

TantalusFld

Some of us have had problems with the ribbon connector for the keyboard. Have you ever had this computer apart.

TantalusFld, Apr 8, 2009
  3. Kig

Kig

No I havent ever had it apart.

The worst letter seems to be L, it's stiff.

I can press it in repeatedly and get no Ls to appear at all. To get an L you have to push it in at a very specific angle very firmly. Some other letters have a similar problem to lesser degrees.

Kig, Apr 8, 2009
  4. Kig

TantalusFld

Could something have spilled on the keyboard? If you want to remove or replace the keyboard it pops out from the top. There are little tabs on the edges . Search thru "dismantle section" for some help on this. viewforum.php?f=46 Might not be too hard to replace.

TantalusFld, Apr 8, 2009
  5. Kig

Forone

There shouldn't be any problem with any key - mine's six months old and the keyboard has worked perfectly. Of course it's smaller than normal and requires a little care, but a direct key press should not cause any problem. If you're still under warranty and have not poured maple syrup or beaten the heck out of your keyboard playing games, return the machine for a replacement.

Famous last words: the evening after writing the above I spilled a half-glass of wine into the keyboard and power button, bricking the unit. Had a scare but got it working again in the morning.

Forone, Apr 8, 2009
  6. Kig

TantalusFld

What kind of wine did you spill? I like Brandy myself! Glad you got it working.

TantalusFld, Apr 11, 2009
  7. Kig

Tamrac

Had mine since last Sept 2008 and no keyboard problems here too. Try if it's possible to pop out just the problematic keys, I've had laptops with that kind of problem before. And almost always it's some kind of burr or debris geting caught under the keys that's causing the problem.

Tamrac, Apr 11, 2009
  8. Kig

Forone

This was a Canadian cab-merlot, just strong enough to make me clumsy, apparently. I should mention here that I had to learn to pull out the keyboard, but what finally fixed it was a few shots of isopropanol contact cleaner spray - available at electronic shops - very volatile solvent that evaps without a residue in a few minutes. Comes with little plastic tube to aim the spray finely. It cleaned everything and fixed the unreponsive on/off button, which was scary. If I had a sticky or unresponsive key I'd give that a try.

Forone, Apr 11, 2009
Ask a Question