Updating ALSA

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SlCKB0Y, Oct 8, 2008.

1. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

Hi,

I have installed Ubuntu Netbook eee and like all the other positive reviews it is working really well out of the box. Applying a few tweaks listed at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne has almost everything working, and thanks to the eee customisations, its fast and boots up quicker than stock ubuntu.

The last thing i really care about and want to get working is sound AND mic after resume. The link above to the wiki has been updated to say that with 1.0.18RC3 this is now working. The problem is the method in the wiki only updates to 1.0.16.d

Does anyone know how i can use the method described there to get updated ALSA? does anyone know where i can get debs witih updated ALSA?

Worst case I will download the source from alsa and compile. I assume I need alsa-lib and alsa-driver? do i need utils as well?

Thanks,

Im really looking forward to getting this working. then i will be happy using this fulltime.

SlCKB0Y, Oct 8, 2008
  2. SlCKB0Y

cpchan

Code:
    ./configure --with-cards=hda-intel --with-sequencer=yes&&make&&make install
    to compile the driver.

At the minimum. You will also need alsa-oss for oss emulation and alsa-plugins for extra functionality.

You should compile and install it. Utils includes cli utilities such as mixer, configurator, pcm player, controller (for setting and restoring defaults), etc,

cpchan, Oct 8, 2008
  3. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

OK. thanks. Do you think i need to configure alsa-lib and alsa-utls with --prefix=/usr?

If so..its ok to overwrite whats already in there?

SlCKB0Y, Oct 8, 2008
  4. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y, Oct 8, 2008
  5. SlCKB0Y

cpchan

ALSA is kind of an odd duck- it already defaults to installing in /usr instead of /usr/local.

Yes.

cpchan, Oct 8, 2008
  6. SlCKB0Y

cpchan

That script compiles and install the drivers and the firmware package for all supported soundcards (other then the libraries) which is not needed with this sound card. It will bloat your installation considerably.

Anyway, you should really learn how to compile manually. It will come in handy.

cpchan, Oct 8, 2008
Ask a Question