updating firefox on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ghostcat, Nov 25, 2009.

1. ghostcat

ghostcat

Hi, I followed the instructions to the letter on here >> http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/inst ... mentPage=2 , twice, same outcome, nothing. Still shows Firefox as being version 2.0.0.14 instead of 3.5.2. I installed a new 1 gig RAM stick no problems, but am totally unfamiliar with Linux and its commands etc. As with an earlier post my wife can't use Facebook chat on this AA1. I thought upgrading the RAM and the browser would solve this. RAM ok but have no joy updating the browser. Any ideas? Is the older version still there alongside the new one? If so how do I start up the new one, if indeed it has installed on the system? Thanks.
    Mick

ghostcat, Nov 25, 2009
  2. ghostcat

Jimux

I have replaced the Noddy desktop with the full xfce desktop as described in rjm's excellent post viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4310 and then upgraded Firefox using the note in this post.

The install instructions in the attached note worked on my netbook up to the line
    "firefox -profilemanager -no-remote"
    presumably because of the changes to the desktop. So here is a modified procedure for the opened up desktop, paste a line at a time to your terminal.

wget -N "http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.6&os=linux&lang=en-US"
    sudo tar -jxf firefox-3.6.tar.bz2 --directory /opt
    sudo chown user -R /opt/firefox
    sudo ln -fs /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/* /opt/firefox/plugins

Now reboot and open the web browser from the start menu. You will be directed to the applications settings manager. Click the browse icon next to the input field and select /opt/firefox/firefox. The manager will then create a start command of /opt/firefox/firefox "%s"
    Alternatively you can open start menu, settings, preferred applications to get to this point.

This method works correctly on my machine with a version 3.6 reported by the help, about box. Opening about:config in the web browser and switching the line browser cache disk enable to false completed my setup to improve the speed when multiple web sites have been visited.

Once you have opened the new version you can change the language from within Firefox by opening Edit, Preferences, Content, languages, choose.

Jimux, Mar 27, 2010
  3. ghostcat

djnm2

Brilliant instructions. Followed to the letter, and completed the whole installation in 15 mins. Many thanks. Will now try further patches that I need since Linux not quite as scary as first imagined

djnm2, Apr 30, 2010
  4. ghostcat

cakefool

Hi there, just followed the instructions in the link, it seems to have worked until I fire Firefox up, it brings up the crash reporter & never lets me go further. Am I best re-installing or is there a way to fix this?

cakefool, May 13, 2010
  5. ghostcat

Jimux

I would be inclined to remove and re-install FIrefox.

Jimux, May 15, 2010
  6. ghostcat

Neva

Thank you for the instructions! Firefox got updated to 3.6 just fine, then auto-updated itself to 3.6.8 from Help -> Check for Updates.

Firefox also recommended updating the Flash plugin, which I also did as follows:
    Select YUM update from here:
    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
    And run this command from the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo yum update flash-plugin
    The updates will be done with Firefox itself in the future and repeating the sudo yum update flash-plugin command from the terminal.

Neva, Aug 1, 2010
Ask a Question