Updating Linux

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by spikeymike, Aug 26, 2008.

1. spikeymike

spikeymike

I've just managed to switch to advanced mode.

If you right click on the desktop > System > Software Updater
    > Enter pass > retrieving software info > and by default all the items are selected
    > Apply Updates > Resolving dependencies for updates
    > error resolving dependencies
    Unable to resolve dependencies for some packages selected for installation.
    Details
    notification-daemon-xfce conflicts with notify-daemon
    Missing dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.1.16 is needed by package yelp

What's the error all about? Even if i just select one from the update list, i still get an error :|

spikeymike, Aug 26, 2008
  2. spikeymike

ice_snow

:( Yeah, I'm having the same problem.

ice_snow, Aug 26, 2008
  3. spikeymike

sideways

You can't run a general update like that - it accesses the Fedora 8 repositories and attempts a fedora update, which fails because you haven't got fedora installed.

You can usually install individual packages though, which ones have you tried? This is also possible from the terminal command line using yum.

A useful repository for Linpus users is the livna one, this gives you access to extra media players and codecs. To enable the livna repo you type this from a terminal command line
    Code:
    rpm -Uhv [url]http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm[/url]
    Now (for example) you can install alternative video and music players:
    Code:
    yum install vlc xmms* amarok*
    Note that Fedora 8 repos will become unmaintained shortly after the release of Fedora 10 this autumn, unless Acer have plans to keep a mirror open.

Also note that the fedora repos have been down or not working properly over the last few weeks due to a security problem
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=197475

sideways, Aug 26, 2008
  4. spikeymike

spikeymike

What's Fedora? Sorry absolute Linux noob here :?

spikeymike, Aug 26, 2008
  5. spikeymike

ice_snow

I'll try that when I get home

ice_snow, Aug 26, 2008
  6. spikeymike

sideways

Fedora is the Linux distribution upon which Linpus Lite is based. Linpus Lite omits many packages and has stripped-down versions of some to give a lightweight OS, hence the problems with trying general updates from the Fedora repositories.

I'm not sure why Acer thought they had to omit so many packages, especially on the hard disk models (You don't even have the man and man-pages manual packages for example - install with 'sudo yum install man man-pages')

sideways, Aug 26, 2008
  7. spikeymike

spikeymike

Thanks for that sideways :)

Yeah please do ice_snow

spikeymike, Aug 26, 2008
  8. spikeymike

ice_snow

I tried to get the Livna repo to work but it would not connect to it. I also tried to do "yum update" from the terminal and got the same errors as doing the other updater. I have on the other hand got programs installed via command line using "yum install makeclean glest" For the Linux noob (I'm not that experienced at Linux) the makeclean removes unneeded files after an install, which is important for the SSD version which I have.

ice_snow, Aug 27, 2008
  9. spikeymike

spikeymike

I just entered this: yum install makeclean glest into terminal, says "You need to be root to perform this commend" - I am the only person using this Aspire one :evil:

spikeymike, Aug 27, 2008
  10. spikeymike

snowlord

Try sudo yum install makeclean glest (note that I added sudo in the beginning) and enter your password. That will run yum as root.

snowlord, Aug 27, 2008
  11. spikeymike

ice_snow

Oops, sorry I normally do the "su" command first before I do commands that require to be root.

ice_snow, Aug 27, 2008
  12. spikeymike

spikeymike

When i enter "sudo yum install makeclean glest"

I get a long error

"Could not retrieve mirrorlist http:// mirrors.fedoraproject. org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-8&arch=i386 was
    [Errno 4] I0Error: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')> removing mirrorlist with no valid mirrors:
    //var/cache/yum/fedora/mirrorlist.txt
    Error: Cannot retrieve respository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora.
    Please verify its path and try again

spikeymike, Aug 27, 2008
  13. spikeymike

spikeymike

Search it on here... to work as root terminal > 'Sudo Thunar'

spikeymike, Aug 27, 2008
  14. spikeymike

rjm

This info needs to be more prominently posted since the first thing people do when the get the machine is rush out and try to update the machine using the package manager. Its not clear that the package updater isn't intended for use with the Linpus Lite system. Especially since most people are coming from Ubuntu, where it works as expected.

rjm, Aug 28, 2008
  15. spikeymike

bassic83

I did the sudo yum install makeclean glest thing, now when I try to use pup to update, I also get the error resolving dependencies box with the following:

notification-daemon-xfce conflicts
    with notify-daemon
    Missing dependency: gecko-libs=
    1.8.1.16 is needed by package yelp

I hit OK, then try to run update again, it comes back with another error:

Unresolvable requirement libgnome-desktop-2.so.2 for gnome-utils

My question is three-fold-
    1) How to either add the gecko-libs so it shuts up and runs, or...
    2) How to figure out which package(s) I'm trying to update that needs these files and get rid of those choices, or...
    3) How to upgrade the gnome libraries to allow the updates to complete.

Wouldn't be bad to figure out why the notification-daemon-xfce is conflicting with notify-daemon as well. Where do I look to comment out one or the other?

bassic83, Aug 28, 2008
  16. spikeymike

ddalley

Those were my questions, as well.

I found this Fedora discussion from Feb/2007.

"Dumbledore
    2007-02-03, 09:04 PM PST
    I used "yum --enablerepo=development install gecko-libs" and it updated firefox, firefox-devel, devhelp, and yelp. However, I did have to remove galeon before any of this would work. Now everything seems to be working fine, so you may still be able to use yum to install FF2."

I haven't got access to our Aspire One right now, so I have not attempted to do this.
    Is there any danger doing this?
    Will it solve this dependency error?

ddalley, Sep 1, 2008
  17. spikeymike

weishak

I could not find the forum related to this but my live update will not connect to the server. I have reinstalled the original settings etc. but i keep getting the same message right after it says that all the patches have been downloaded.

could not connect to update server please check network environment according to the following steps:
    1. check that network cable has already inserted well
    2. check your network status

????

i have tried hardwiring the connecting and still nothing?
    Any ideas.

weishak, Sep 17, 2008
  18. spikeymike

jamesb72

Just bought Acer One 8Gb SSD version, and am really pleased. I've used unix for 15years, so am happy with terminal interface.

Quick question, I have 3.8Gb free out of the box, just tried sudo yum install man, and it wants to install 250k man pages and 1.9M groff ?? Seems pretty large. Tried sudo yum install man-pages - this is even bigger 4.1M ????

Makes me wonder if people consider it essential to add SDHC card for merged storage to increase space, in which case is 8Gb SDHC card enough (or maximum One will recognise), or do I need 16Gb ???

Thanks for any advice.

jamesb72, Oct 3, 2008
  19. spikeymike

sideways

4mb is not so bad, for instance you can immediately remove 400mb of language files

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1704

see macles link for even more space saving tips.

I would think 8gb sdhc is enough for moderate use. But you really should have bought the 120gb hard disk model if space was an issue.

sideways, Oct 5, 2008
  20. spikeymike

jamesb72

Thanks, I couldn't see point of 120Gb HDD, whole point of netbook is low power consumption and weight etc, I will stick to Linpus install.

I think I was shocked at size of basic stuff, but have realised nothing is that large, Gimp seems to be about 12Mb, so I've added about all I ever will, and still have several Gb free for storage which should do me fine.

jamesb72, Oct 5, 2008
Ask a Question