upgrade with 2gb no response

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by kj-brennan, Jun 21, 2009.

1. kj-brennan

kj-brennan

Hi,

I've tried to upgrade my acer aspire one ZG5 with Transcend Jet ram DDR2-667 2GB ram. When I insert the new ram into slot and try to restart my computer it does not respond.
    Any suggestions why this happens?

Thanks
    kj

kj-brennan, Jun 21, 2009
  2. kj-brennan

Tamrac

Make sure the SODIMM is well seated and the clips are totally flush to the memory module.... take it out and push it back in couple of times. If still no go, you might have a defective SODIMM.

Tamrac, Jun 21, 2009
  3. kj-brennan

kj-brennan

Tamrac,

Thanks for the reply. I tried putting the new ram in five or six time to no avail. I have replaced the original ram and all is fine. Maybe there are some compatibility issues?

kj

kj-brennan, Jun 21, 2009
  4. kj-brennan

DutchDK

If you have a AAO A110 or an A150 (the 8.9" screen version) you can't use a 2 GB SO-DIMM module. You can use a 1 GB SO-DIMM module fo a total of 1.5 GB ram on those models. The reason is that even though the Intel chipset on those models can use up to 2 GB ram, there is no way of disabling the 512 MB ram soldered on the motherboard. So when you try to use a 2GB SO-DIMM module, you are over the limit of what the chipset can use by 512 mb, and the netbook will refuse to start up.

If you have the D150 (10.1" screen version), then you can use a 2GB SO-DIMM module and have a total of 2 GB ram recognised by the AAO.

DutchDK, Jun 21, 2009
  5. kj-brennan

Tamrac

This is true, I naturally assumed you had the newer Aspire Ones that can support 2Gb.... ZG5 is an A110? Not sure, but whatever it is, DutchDK is right.... Older Aspire One's can only support 1.5Gb total since the 512mb is soldered in the motherboard. You can add max of 1Gb RAM to make 1.5 Gb.

Tamrac, Jun 21, 2009
  6. kj-brennan

kj-brennan

Guys,

Thanks for the help, just installed a 1GB ram and all is working well.

kj

kj-brennan, Jun 22, 2009
Ask a Question