Upgrading Firefox

Discussion in 'Linux' started by srj321, Mar 22, 2009.

1. srj321

srj321

Hi - hoping someone can help me with this problem.

I upgraded Firefox using the 'official' upgrade provided on the Acer Aspire support website. This upgraded me to Firefox 3.0.3 and installed the google toolbar. Then saw macles guide on how to upgrade firefox and decided to use that route to get a version of firefox which didn't force you to have the google toolbar or have the update feature greyed out (like the official acer one does). So after following his guide I got updated Firefox to v 3.0.7. However for some reason my browser has now decided to revert back to v3.0.3 and also reinstall the google toolbar. Anybody any ideas on how to stop this from happening. Thanks.

srj321, Mar 22, 2009
  2. srj321

Lopploella

I don't know exactly how to do that, but maybe you can get help (again) from macles...?

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/depe ... e-one.html

The article is about dependencies, but I think you will somehow have to deal with those to get it to work...maybe (I'm definitely not a Linux expert, only trying to help out a little) ;)

Best of luck now!

edit: Oh and here is a Norwegian guy who helped me a lot when I first started out with the AA1:
    http://jorge.fbarr.net/2008/08/06/acer- ... and-tricks

He has a list of tips and tricks for the AA1 (scroll down a little and click on Installing Firefox 3)

I don't know about Firefox (I got tired of Linpus before I even tried that), but he did mention other things that others didn't show in their guides - maybe his site can help you? :)

Lopploella, Mar 22, 2009
  3. srj321

srj321

Thanks for the reply.

Bizarrely my version of Firefox has now reverted back to the 3.0.7 version (with the ability to do updates no longer greyed out) through no intervention on my part. So think will see what happens over the next few days before I start messing about with it again.

srj321, Mar 23, 2009
Ask a Question