Upgrading Graphics Card on ACER laptop

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by jonimo, Mar 14, 2009.

1. jonimo

jonimo

Firstly Id like to apologise for posting this in an Aspire One forum, I couldn't find a forum for my ACER model and am hoping someone here might be able to help me out :)

I have an ACER 4930G laptop, which came with a P9500 processor, 4GB RAM and an idependant NVIDIA GeForce9600M GS (256MB) graphics card.

I'd like to upgrade my graphics card to a GF9650 GT (1GB), or an equivalent card from ATI.

Does anyone know is it possible to upgrade the graphics card on my 4930G laptop?

Thanks in advance, and sorry again!

jonimo :)

jonimo, Mar 14, 2009
  2. jonimo

Baza

Laptop graphics cards are usually integrated into the motherboard. I don't know specifically for this model...but the chances are minimal to none

Baza, Mar 14, 2009
  3. jonimo

Baza

Baza, Mar 14, 2009
  4. jonimo

Ranger Wolf

if your laptop has the right connection (sorry i forgot which atm), you can use an external Graphics card. they have really powerful external ones now. but be prepared to pay a good dollar.

Ranger Wolf, Mar 14, 2009
  5. jonimo

jackluo923

Most high performance laptop has pci express 16 thus is compatible with majority of the graphic cards (even desktop versions). All you need is to solve the power, heat, and dimension problem and you're all set.

jackluo923, Mar 14, 2009
  6. jonimo

Ranger Wolf

haha if the desktop versions were compatible, the size wouldn't matter :p

Ranger Wolf, Mar 14, 2009
  7. jonimo

melhiore

Do you have any specific one in mind?? I would like to try put full size desktop graphic card to my AA1... :D :D :D

melhiore, Mar 14, 2009
  8. jonimo

jackluo923

Try ATI hd 4870. :lol:

AAO doesn't have a mini pci-e 16x port, does it?
    Get a pci-e 16 to mini pci-e 16 adapter, then get external powersupply. I see no reason why it would not work.

jackluo923, Mar 15, 2009
  9. jonimo

garrettp

It seems as though it may be possible. However, I do not know that your laptop actually has a PCIe slot, but it should. Also, there would be size limitations as well as heatpipe issues for cooling. Also, price. It would not be a cheap upgrade.

Chances are your laptop does have a PCIe slot that you could put in a different graphics card. But, it has to be the mobile version. As you go up in graphics card speed/ramm, you also go up in size. Your laptop should have a heatpipe/heatsink for cooling the graphics card. Different cards may not work. You may only be able to go up just once step to say a 9400M based card. But again, the card is a little larger.

Here is the 9300M
    [​IMG]

Here is the 9400M
    [​IMG]

Here is the 9800M
    [​IMG]

So basic answer, is it possible, probably. Hardest part would be finding which one will fit. It does look like the next card up is larger so it may not even work though. And then there is the cost ;)

garrettp, Mar 15, 2009
  10. jonimo

jerryt

How about a BroadCom BCM970010 BCM970012NB Mini PCI-e HD Decoder card.
    Multistandard high-definition video decoder module supporting:
    H.264/AVC HP at L4.1 1080i, 40 Mbps
    SMPTE VC-1AP at L3 1080i, 40 Mbps
    MPEG-2 MP@ML and MP@HL
    720p, 1080i and 1080p support
    HD DVD and Blu-ray™ disc playback on PCs
    Protected media playback on PCs

jerryt, Mar 15, 2009
  11. jonimo

jonimo

Thanks a lot for all the advice!

I went back to the shop where I purchased the laptop from just to get some advice form there tech guy, he told me that even if I managed to remove the graphics card, the memory is interfaced with the motherboard..this confused me a lot as its an independant graphics card (GeForce 9600M GS 256MB).

The external graphics card seems like the best option at the moment, Id never heard of those before.

Sorry for asking the obvious, but what is an HD decoder card? Would that really help with graphics (3d games, video editing etc) ?

jonimo, Mar 15, 2009
  12. jonimo

garrettp

yes the memory is integrated. I thought i posted that but it seems that i did not. U could still upgrade but it would be as I said and only a model or two up. But the size and price would be an issue.

Why that guy posted about HD (High Definition) I do not know. He must sell them or something. It would do you absolutely no use.

What exactly are you trying to speed this up for? Have you lightened up your background programs? Do you know how to use msconfig? How many items do you have in the system tray? (over by the time, right side of task bar).

There are plenty of things to do to get your computer running faster. One other easy thing is installing more ram. Or, if your OS has been installed for longer then a year, back everything up and re-install ;). You would be amazed at how that speeds things up.

If you want, send me an e-mail and I can give you my toll-free number and I can walk you through things. I have the toll free number for Stained Glass and Handy Man work. But deep down, I gotta have a mouse in my hand ;) and I would be happy to help. My email below is a pic so you have to write it down, this keeps spam out of my mailbox :)

BTW, is that u over at notebook forums too lmao, I just noticed that. And I guess I should have asked instead of assuming, male or female lol.

[​IMG]

garrettp, Mar 16, 2009
  13. jonimo

mlonga

Just bought an ACER One notebook. The sole purpose of this is to use the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD to record from a video probe (Pipe Camera). The computer only allows me to go up to 1024 x 600, I have the color quality at 32-bit.

The error message from Roxio is as follows:

The current display settings do not meet the minimum requirements for this application. Please change the screen resolution to 1024 x 768 or higher, and the color quality to 16-bit or higher.

Is there a work around on this?

Marty

mlonga, Apr 2, 2009
  14. jonimo

garrettp

Marty, you cannot go any higher on the LCD of the AA1. the only work around for you would be to use an external monitor. It would not be that hard of a work around at all. You would simply be using the AA1 as a desktop in a way.

garrettp, Apr 8, 2009
  15. jonimo

cotton509

WOW u should have red my post about his dude. you can hack yor netbook with a different graphics card but your most likley fail nd destroy it.

cotton509, Apr 9, 2009
  16. jonimo

garrettp

link to this post? Sounds pretty interesting to me. I have a background doing SMD rework and would be interested to see what is involved.

garrettp, Apr 11, 2009
Ask a Question