upgrading internal wifi card to pre-n

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Guest, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

hi guys i have been looking around the net and found nothing really.

im looking for a card to replace the existing wifi card that supports 3 antenna pre-n. I have 2 intel 4965agn cards sat here but there both from apple machines so they throw code 10 errors in an xp/vista system but do work if i run osx on either my hp or a1.

what im looking for is a card i can use in xp/vista not osx really. hope you can help.

Gav

Guest, Jan 17, 2009
  2. Guest

jeremysdad

Not sure what the issue is with yours. I just installed that very card into my (mainly) XP machine, with zero problems. Installed, reassembled, Windows detected it and fired right up.

Did you pre-load the drivers and everything beforehand? Did you get it installed properly?

jeremysdad, Jan 17, 2009
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

i installed the official xp drivers from intel and i got a code 10 cannot start device error, i tried the hp and dell drivers for the same card with no luck.

the only thing i didnt do was connect the third antenna as i had tried both cards in my hp and found the same code 10 error in vista which bugged me. i swapped the hdd out of my hp and ran osx which found the cards and worked perfectly fine.

do you think it was the missing antenna or another issue? the cards do work but only with apple software. i really would like to solve this issue cos the next route for me is to mount a belkin pre-n dongle internally which i really do not want to do as the signal would be awful.

Thanks

Guest, Jan 17, 2009
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Guest, Jan 17, 2009
  5. Guest

melhiore

Did you flick the Wi-Fi ON/OFF switch in the front of the machine??

melhiore, Jan 17, 2009
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

one of the things i didnt check on the a150 but surly it wouldnt cause this. i will slap the card back in in 5 minutes and try again. really hope i can get this working!

Guest, Jan 17, 2009
  7. Guest

melhiore

I had this problem. Don't remember Error number but it happened to me - that's why I ask... :)

melhiore, Jan 18, 2009
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

ok checked last night and still no joy even with third antenna in place nothing code 10 all the way. boot to osx works fine but i want it to run in windows. well never mind im giving up.

Guest, Jan 18, 2009
  9. Guest

jeremysdad

Did you install just the drivers? I installed the entire IntelProset control suite, and everything worked flawlessly, even with two antennas.

Are you sure that you installed the drivers that are correct for your version (32/64 bit) of Windows? I had that problem with some of the Atheros drivers before, and got the same error. Just some more thoughts, don't give up on it yet, it is an awesome upgrade.

jeremysdad, Jan 18, 2009
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

have tried everything i can think of. from installing drivers first to restoring my a150 to factory with no wifi and installing drivers then putting the card in with no luck what so ever. i can honestly say its got me stumped.

Guest, Jan 18, 2009
  11. Guest

jeremysdad

IDK, if you reinstall the Atheros card, does it work? Trying to rule out bad connection/hardware issues.

I'm about out of ideas...have you uninstalled it from device manager, and reinstalled? Sometimes that will solve issues; it IS Windows, afterall. Restart after an uninstall, of course, then reinstall upon startup. Have you uninstalled the Atheros drivers from your system? I recall that I had read elsewhere that people had issues because of that, maybe it's worth a try. Maybe they have some sort of malware that prevents other Manufacturers hardware from installing correctly???Again, it's worth a shot, anyway...

jeremysdad, Jan 18, 2009
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

ok ive tried everything now lol.

stipped the os back so there was no wifi drivers etc installed still code 10 so im not trying no more. they must be locked to apple os so there going on ebay.

thankyou for all your help.

Guest, Jan 19, 2009
  13. Guest

JoeCHecht

Just installed an Intel 4965agn card last night and got it working in N mode (tested on three N routers).

Hooked the white and black antenna leads to the outside connections on the card, and left the middle connection unhooked

Loaded the drivers from the Intel site (not the procset utility - just the driver pack) - [I don't need yet another Wireless manager].

All worked well. Running Vista Ultimate with VMWare Workstation 6.5.1 (where I run Win2k, XP, Vista, Ubuntu in VM's).

The docs say the card will work in two antenna systems (I am guessing that the card has uses the housing as third antenna). Works for me just great!

The wireless switch and "on" light works, although it does not "blip" whet here is throughput.

In any case, I am planning on adding a 3rd "antenna" as soon as the connector comes in. I plan to just use a wire cut to the right length.

FWIW, before you cut a bunch of holes in the case to add a antenna, note that if you cut up one of those rubber antenna's on a router, you might be disappointed to find that there is nothing but the end of the in there :)

J

JoeCHecht, Jan 19, 2009
Ask a Question