upgrading to latest gimp?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sevenape, Jan 18, 2009.

1. sevenape

sevenape

Hello, Might be a bit of a newbie question but is there a way of upgrading to the latest version of gimp? I wanna use my AAO for editing photos when I'm away from my desktop and it seems that the version of gimp I have doesn't recognise RAW files from my olympus e420. Is there a way of getting the latest version of gimp as I'm not too fond of Rawstudio (especially as it crashes every time I want to export a photo into jpeg).

thanks for any help :)

sevenape, Jan 18, 2009
  2. sevenape

daldred

One option would be to compile the latest version of The GIMP yourself; how brave do uyou feel with the command line?

Alternatively, check Digikam - it has RAW support for many cameras, and you could use Digikam for import & conversion of files and the GIMP for final editing.

daldred, Jan 18, 2009
  3. sevenape

sevenape

I'll give digikam a try first thanks very much for the tip! I am willing to do terminal stuff, but have to follow a lead, so probably not the best option for me I suppose! :D

Thanks though will try digikam right now :)

sevenape, Jan 18, 2009
  4. sevenape

RockDoctor

upgrade to a newer distro? I'm running gimp-2.6.4-3 under Fedora Rawhide, and gimp-2.6.3-1 under Ubuntu 9.04 alpha

RockDoctor, Jan 19, 2009
  5. sevenape

sevenape

any of the distros good and stable? Was thinking about ubuntu 8.10 netbook remix, but have a few doubts considering the left card slot as I am using it as an extension for the hard drive.

Might still try it, unless anyone can point me in the direction of a guide to compiling gimp? :)

Thanks all :)

EDIT:

couldn't get digicam or rawtherapee working (rawtherapee worked a treat on my old ubuntu box)

sevenape, Jan 19, 2009
  6. sevenape

sevenape

Hello again, right so had trouble trying to install Ubuntu NBR downloaded the image but when I tried to mount it on the USB stick it couldn't find it, tried to search for the file in the terminal and it told me permission was denied. Tried to install ubuntu 8.04.1 from a dvd but got some busybox prompt.

Tried running irfanview (last resort I know) in wine... again no dice...

I have used Rawtherapee before on my old machine and it worked a treat, but somehow when I try to run the program nothing happens! I'm beginning to think about shooting in Jpeg to save myself the bother!

Anyways does anyone have any tips? As everything else is working OK I'd be happy just to get rawtherapee working!

thanks in advance!! :)

sevenape, Jan 20, 2009
  7. sevenape

daldred

As a matter of interest, what went wrong with Digikam?

Someone else reported it complaining about the lack of libexiv2; if that's the problem try installing the exiv2 package listed in add/remove software. Usually this would be handled by the package manager as a dependency, but I seem to recall vaguely that there is a difficulty with libexiv2 in this respect (something to do with a clash of package names, or something).

daldred, Jan 20, 2009
  8. sevenape

sevenape

thanks I'll give that a go! I'm not sure exactly what the problem was, but I'll give it another go, cheers!

sevenape, Jan 20, 2009
  9. sevenape

sevenape

SOLVED (kind of)

Installed ubuntu NBR and latest version of UFRAW.

Everything seems to be running smoothly and working fine.

Thanks for tips everyone!

sevenape, Jan 22, 2009
Ask a Question