Urgent help please

Discussion in 'Linux' started by angelfish, Dec 30, 2008.

1. angelfish

angelfish

I bought my daughter an Acer aspire one for Christmas,she was fiddling around with it and it went blank,she doesnt know exactly what she's done but when we turn it on there is a task bar at the end of the screen with the home button on the left,when we click on it we get the error message"Could not run command :xfdesktop2 - -gohome : Failed to execute child process "xfdesktop"(no such file or directory)can someone help please.
    PS new to linux.

angelfish, Dec 30, 2008
  2. angelfish

daldred

If the error message is corect, she's somehow deleted the file which handles the desktop display, so it can't run!

The big problem with this is that if she's deleted that, she may well have deleted other important things at the same time. I would wonder whether you might be better to use the recovery DVD (carefully - people have had trouble with it - check for threads on this forum) and start from scratch!

daldred, Dec 30, 2008
  3. angelfish

angelfish

Thanks for the reply and hurrah thank god,with a bit of googling we came across a u tube video on The acer guy website with step by step instructions for system recovery that worked a treat,pretty simple and straight forward compared to some of the other ones we read,think I will hang onto my back up recovery stick....just in case. :D

angelfish, Dec 31, 2008
  4. angelfish

Guest Guest

I have the same problem BUT is it really necessary to reboot. That would destrou all the data and settings that are already on the machine. :shock:

Guest, Jul 23, 2009
Ask a Question