Urgent problem with Trojan virus!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by brad ford, Aug 20, 2010.

1. brad ford

brad ford

Hi

Yesterday when I was using my Aspire one I had several warnings of trojan infection. It was identified as win32/nuqel.E. This is rogue anti-spyware. It hijacked my web browser and stopped me opening many different programs including antivirus and antispyware. Eventually the netbook shut down completely. I cannot switch it on properly even in safe mode. The opening screen just loops. How can I recover from this? I cannot reformat the hard drive as there is no CD drive and I have no recovery disk anyway. Can I use the pen drive to boot from or somehow use it to reformat windows?

This is a real mess so please help if you can. Thanks for any comments.

brad ford, Aug 20, 2010
  2. brad ford

Swarvey Moderator

Since you want to reformat it anyway, have you tried the standard D2D recovery? Check your POST screen for instructions

Swarvey, Aug 20, 2010
  3. brad ford

brad ford

Thanks for your reply but I am not sure what the standard D2D recovery is? I am also not sure what POST screen you are referring to. Could you elaborate a bit.

brad ford, Aug 21, 2010
  4. brad ford

Swarvey Moderator

D2D Recovery (as I understand it) is Drive to Drive or Disk to Disk recovery. It's a recovery option triggered by a button combination at the POST screen while booting.

The POST screen is the "Power On Self Test" screen. This is what you see when you initially power-on the machine. Depending on how your machine is set up, you'll either see an Acer logo fill the screen, or a black screen with white text scrolling down it. It's the same screen where you can press F2 to enter the BIOS setup screen.

When you get to the POST screen, there should be two messages at the bottom of the screen, one says something along the lines of "Press F2 to enter setup" the other will be the combination you need to start D2D recovery.

D2D Recovery will use the information in the "hidden" recovery partition on your hard drive (which you probably have never seen) to restore the machine to factory defaults.

Swarvey, Aug 24, 2010
Ask a Question