USB DVD Rewriter - Setup

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Guest, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I just bought a LG brand USB Power portable External Super Multi DVD Rewriter.
    Model GSA-E50L.
    Before I go messing things up I thought I'd ask if anyone has some 'free' advice.
    I'm not familiar with this device and my AA1 is less than 2 weeks old so I don't want to kill it (just yet).
    So if anyone has some advice I'm willing to listen.

Thanks in advance
    Stephen

Guest, Oct 2, 2008
  2. Guest

Arctic_Eddie

Yes, I can offer some words of advice. I also purchased the same unit from NewEgg and am happy so far though I've not done much with it yet. It was tested on a Toshiba laptop but will end up on my yet to arrive AA1. I should have it near the end of Oct. from Amazon. Here's what I found.

First, use both cables, power and data. The current draw through the data cable only is too much for a USB port and will trigger a power surge condition in XP that requires a hub reset using the error window that pops up. Plug the power cable first into one of the USB sockets then the data cable into another USB socket. XP will find new hardware. Let it find the right drivers itself. When finished try reading any standard CD using Windows Explorer. You don't need to install the software on the supplied CD until you want the applications it contains. I haven't done that part yet as I intend to use it only with the AA1. If it wants to install Adobe PDF reader decline the offer. Instead, use the Foxit PDF reader. It's much smaller, faster, and freeware. Let it associate all PDF files to itself.

As I discover more in the next few weeks I'll add to this post.

Enjoy your new hardware.

Foxit home page.
    http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

File download.
    http://mirrors.foxitsoftware.com/pub/fo ... _Setup.exe

Arctic_Eddie, Oct 3, 2008
Ask a Question