usb linpus restore disk

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by hmmmmmmm., Nov 27, 2008.

1. hmmmmmmm.

hmmmmmmm.

i need to create a usb restore disk from the supplied dvd but i dont use pc's like the instruction specify as i use an applemac

can anyone help?

hmmmmmmm., Nov 27, 2008
  2. hmmmmmmm.

barrie

Hi hmmmmmmm.
    To create the USB recovery stick do the following.

Important Note.

Please do not undertake the following if you are using a SATA drive /drives

How to make and use a recovery for Acer Aspire One – For Linux SKU
    Required materials:
    - USB key from minima; 8GB
    - Aspire One Recovery DVD, which is shipped with the Aspire One.
    - Additional PC / notebook
    Step 1
    Insert the “Aspire One Recovery DVD” into the additional PC / notebook, and make sure that the device
    will boot from this DVD. You might need to enter the system BIOS to enable booting from optical disc
    drive.
    Step 2
    Once you have booted from the DVD, you can select the following 3 options:
    Install – Acer Aspire One
    Create Recovery USB Drive
    Boot from Hard Disk
    Please select the option “Create Recovery USB Drive”. After selecting this option, the system will
    continue to the “Acer Recovery Management” screen.
    Step 3
    The “Acer Recovery Management Screen” will automatically launch a wizard which will help you with
    creating the recovery USB drive.
    Step 3- A Welcome
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome to the Acer Recovery Management for Aspire One. This program will assist you to create a
    recovery USB drive. Press [->] to continue, or press [Exit] to quit.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Press the next button [->] to continue.
    Step 3- B Select partition
    Select USB drive and click Next button to continue
    In this screen you can select your inserted USB drive, for example:
    Whole disk 1 /dev/sdb 3936MB
    All data on the selected partition / drive will be overwritten!
    Step 3- C Recovering data
    The system will now start copying data to the USB drive. You will see a progress bar on which you can
    see the progress of the copying progress. This progress will take about 5 minutes.
    After this take out the USB drive and insert the USB drive into the Aspire One
    Step 4
    When the USB drive is inserted into the Aspire One, press the power button and press F12 to enter the
    boot menu. In this menu, you will see the following:
    1. IDE 0: SSPAMM0008G1EA
    2. USB HDD: USB Flash Drive
    3. Network Boot: Legacy PCI Device
    Select “USB HDD: USB Flash Drive” and press ENTER.
    Step 5
    The system will now boot into the “Acer Recovery Management” utility which you can use to restore the
    Aspire One.
    Welcome to the Acer Recovery Management for Aspire One. This program will assist you to create a
    recovery USB drive. Press [->] to continue, or press [Exit] to quit.
    Press the next button [->] to continue.
    Step 5- A
    Select the partition on which the software needs to be restored. By default this is the following:
    Whole Disk 1 /dev/sda/ 7695MB
    After selecting the partition the system will display a message that all data on the partition will be
    removed. Press OK to continue
    Step 5- B
    As a final step the system will start to copy data from the USB drive to the SDD drive of the Aspire One.
    This process will take about 20 minutes, depending of the speed of the USB drive.
    After copying files, remove the USB drive and reboot the system. Remove the USB drive first!

barrie, Nov 28, 2008
  3. hmmmmmmm.

crazymazy

That for the info! Work! Did have to find a machine which I could create the USB recovery disk on - Third time lucky!!!

crazymazy, Feb 18, 2009
  4. hmmmmmmm.

barrie

Hi crazymazy,

You are welcome, and I take it from your post all is OK, just to add to mine a friend somehow killed her new AAO so we used the USB recovery disc I created via the above instructions, it took about 25 mins but her box was restored to out of the box condition (new) and is now working well.

The only difference was I used a 8Gb stick instead of the 1Gb in the instructions. ;)

barrie, Feb 19, 2009
  5. hmmmmmmm.

redtree

You can also set up a restore USB stick which will restore your system to how you set it up. The DVD that came in the box will restore it to as new. Details of how to set it up can be found on Macles blog here:
    http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer ... ackup.html

Hope it helps

redtree, Feb 20, 2009
  6. hmmmmmmm.

barrie

Hi redtree,

Thank you for the link, I followed the instructions and made a system backup. The only thing not detailed was the fact that 95% through the backup process I got a blue screen and no matter what could not bring the desktop back. :eek: :shock:

I decided to wait a few minuets then finally hit the on/off button, bingo back to the terminal and the backup had finished. :)

Hit any key to reboot so removed the USB key and did this all was fine, replaced the USB key to check the files and all seems fine with the USB boot and backup files etc created.

I will load a few more app`s then run this recovery stick to see if it takes the system back to as I had it set up.
    If this is successful then it is a great piece of software, I know it only takes 20 mins to use the rescue USB stick that I created which takes the Acer back to out of the box condition (new) which I have done, but much better if you can just restore the system to as you had it with all loaded programs and applications. ;)

We shall see.

barrie, Mar 5, 2009
  7. hmmmmmmm.

Ricardo Miguel

Hi, i did what was told here and it gives me an error that says that it canot format my 16gb usb disk, tried with a 2gb and another error to contact the linpus suport, and did not format, what can i do?

Ricardo Miguel, Mar 10, 2009
  8. hmmmmmmm.

barrie

Hi Ricardo,

Not sure I fully understand, are you saying you can not create the USB recovery stick?

Because once you enter the Acer Recovery Management the following will happen,

Overwritten is the operative word not formatted.

barrie, Mar 10, 2009
  9. hmmmmmmm.

nenu

Ok stupid question...if I put the recovery disk into another machine to create the USB stick what happens to the OP on that machine.

My home laptop runs windows Vista and I have a load of stuff on it that I don't want to risk losing. The Documents I have saved to an external hard drive, but not the programmes etc.

Please can some one reassure me :)

nenu, Mar 28, 2009
  10. hmmmmmmm.

barrie

Hi nenu,

Nothing happens to your desktop / laptop, it is only reading the disk in order to make a rescue USB stick.
    No files are downloaded onto the PC. :)

I have used it to take my Acer box back to new, worked flawlessly.

barrie, Mar 28, 2009
  11. hmmmmmmm.

nenu

Thank you...I was getting worried I was going to have to go back to carrying this monstrosity around with me instead of the nice neat little acer.

Not to mention the trauma of telling my other half we were back to being a one laptop family :eek:

nenu, Mar 29, 2009
  12. hmmmmmmm.

barrie

Hi nenu,

You are welcome , I should just add that I used an 8GB stick as read many comments that the 1GB stick failed and I had no problems first time.

barrie, Mar 29, 2009
  13. hmmmmmmm.

Aspiration

Do these instructions also work with power pc macs or just intel?

Aspiration, Apr 1, 2009
  14. hmmmmmmm.

barrie

Hi Aspiration,

I have not seen any mention on any blog or forum regarding the use of a Apple so can only assume that no in order to create a rescue USB stick you will need to use a PC > Intel.

But if I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me. :)

barrie, Apr 1, 2009
  15. hmmmmmmm.

libssd

In my experience, a 1gb flash drive is not big enough, but a 2gb works just fine. Since this is an emergency recovery device, rather than a backup, it doesn't need to be big. I made mine, then stuck it in the original packing case. Haven't needed it yet... :!:

I use an 8gb with aa1backup for regular backups. Haven 't needed to do a restore yet.

libssd, Apr 2, 2009
  16. hmmmmmmm.

Aspiration

I'm assuming this boot from cd won't work on a power pc mac. Right?

Aspiration, Apr 2, 2009
  17. hmmmmmmm.

nenu

I was able to back up successfully and restore things to new...actually I think it went further back than when I bought it.

I do have one little problem, I now don't have a desk top link to "Settings", but one to "Preferences"...any one got any idea why? and what if any is the differences as I can't see anything obvious?

Thanks again for the help :D

nenu, Apr 3, 2009
  18. hmmmmmmm.

barrie

Hi nenu,

Pleased you are back to a duel laptop family, :D sorry cant say why the file heading changed but if you have the same options then possibly a Bios version thing, I am still running V0.3109 but with a XFCE customised desktop.

barrie, Apr 3, 2009
  19. hmmmmmmm.

nenu

that could be Klingon for all the sense it makes to me lol ...I am running linux pure and simple, what type etc I have no idea (I can almost hear the resigned sighs of people on here getting ready for the next stupid question I come up with ;) )

Nenu

nenu, Apr 3, 2009
  20. hmmmmmmm.

barrie

Hi nenu,

So am I :)
    Pictures speak louder than words, but you can find which Bios you are running under your new preferences tab then click system
    [​IMG]

My XFCE desktop simple but all I need
    [​IMG]

barrie, Apr 3, 2009
Ask a Question