usb linpus restore disk

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by hmmmmmmm., Nov 27, 2008.

1. hmmmmmmm.

nenu

ooooo eerrrr...that's pretty :)

Thanks for the info, I had a look and apparently I am using the same as you...but with just the basic desktop.

Just shows what can be done when you know your way around things. I am getting better though, I am dead proud that I have just managed to install the up to date version of Firefox (using a link from this site to a step by step guide).

I am finding it fascinating, once I let go of the "ease" of windows and remembered the logic of the old DOS system the way things work on Linux makes sense...I might still not know the things to type in but at least I can see the sense behind them when I am told .

Any this is supposed to be a help site not a blog, sorry :?

Nenu

nenu, Apr 3, 2009
  2. hmmmmmmm.

barrie

Hi Nenu,

I only got my Acer in Oct and this was also my first encounter with Linux, :shock: I use it for on the go work and have found there are many knowledgeable patent people here on the forum willing to help or point you to threads that will.

Wish I'd made the move from windows a long time ago, the reason I changed my desktop from the default one was although I found very it easy to work with, adding and removing desktop applications was a little time consuming.

If for example you wanted to add desktop Icons for added applications then you had to open your group.xml file and add / change entries re save the file etc, where as now I can just drag and drop (I`m lazy) :D

barrie, Apr 3, 2009
  3. hmmmmmmm.

db Nightmare qp

Ok, I have the Aspire One Recovery Disc, but I dont have an additional PC, and my USB pendrive is 1GB, and I have another of 4GB, Its really necesary a 8GB USB pendrive???

Hey! I have Linux Limpus Lite on my acer! but I have download the recovery official disc of windows xp " http://topdirectlink.blogspot.com/2009/ ... d-iso.html ", I can do the same for changing Linux linpus to windows xp???

db Nightmare qp, Apr 10, 2009
  4. hmmmmmmm.

nenu

don't know about the other part of the question but a 4gb pen drive is plenty...that is what I used when my 1gb wasn't big enough.

nenu, Apr 10, 2009
  5. hmmmmmmm.

Japser

Hi Barrie, you wrote this a while ago.

Please note that there are numerous reports of people who have damaged their operating systems on the machine used to create the restore-usb-stick. I -think- this happens mostly with 'SATA' - harddisks, as they are in the same line of devices as usb-sticks.

--Japser.

Japser, Apr 13, 2009
  6. hmmmmmmm.

barrie

Hi Japser,

Thank you for this interesting information, as you see I have now edited my original post, personally I have had no contact or experience with SATA drives other than they are duel file system for some obscure reason

Thanks again for the hint.

barrie, Apr 13, 2009
  7. hmmmmmmm.

TTgowings

Does anyone have a link to the latest and greatest re-install/restore disc (DVD) ? My machine refuses to do the new updates and I guess I'll just do a complete backup and see if that works as my desktop background changes to default blue on reboot and a few other quirks, so time to backup my files and do a fresh new install.

TTgowings, Apr 19, 2009
  8. hmmmmmmm.

Aspiration

As long as you have an intel mac with a dvd drive, you should be able to boot the dvd by holding down the option key during bootup to select the dvd drive and make a usb bootable restoration on a 1GB (I recommend 2 GB) or larger usb flashdrive. The whole premise is to be able to boot the dvd and hit the down arrow once to select make a usb boot drive. There's a lot of stress involved because Linux doesn't tell you much about what is going on. Your hard drive light (if you have one) should stay off and only the dvd and usb lights should flash. That's the only way I was able to tell what was happening on a windows pc.
    The other option is to hook up a usb dvd drive and try booting from it with your acer aspire one, then make your usb boot drive from the menu options.
    If you do use a windows laptop computer, it will need to have a dvd reader drive built in so that the bios will let you select it as a boot drive. Perhaps some of the newer ones might even let you select a usb dvd drive to boot from.

Expect the whole process to take about a half hour. At the end, the program will seem to be doing nothing for quite a while. Just let it keep going until its done.

Aspiration, Apr 20, 2009
  9. hmmmmmmm.

barrie

I have just today had to restor my Linux box using a USB image I made with all my previously added application because of a totally disastrous Acer live update which killed my system. :x Took about 10 mins :)
    viewtopic.php?f=67&t=13673

barrie, Apr 26, 2009
  10. hmmmmmmm.

graemev

Oh No it don't ... just trashed TWO of my machines ... warrants it's own post (so I'll do that)

graemev, Jul 5, 2009
  11. hmmmmmmm.

DutchDK

As posted in your thread, are you sure you selected the right option to create an USB recovery device, and not by error selected to install from the recovery DVD ?

DutchDK, Jul 5, 2009
  12. hmmmmmmm.

graemev

yep

graemev, Jul 6, 2009
Ask a Question