USB Networking cable

Discussion in 'Windows' started by bigb, Jul 8, 2009.

1. bigb

bigb

Can I connect the A1 to another machine via a USB to USB (Bridged) networking cable and install software on the A1from the cd rom of the 2nd machine?

Thanks, Brian

bigb, Jul 8, 2009
  2. bigb

jerryt

I do not believe that USB networking is possible.

But with a cat5 networking cable you can network two computers. Also by WiFi you can network a shared CD drive on another computer.

jerryt, Jul 8, 2009
  3. bigb

bigb

Thanks Jerry, I have heard it can be done thru WIFI or a cat 5 network, but I don't have a clue how to do it.

bigb, Jul 8, 2009
  4. bigb

jerryt

Wifi is easier in my opinion.

Right click on the CD drive in the host computer and select share.
    On the AAO make sure Workgroup is the same as the host.
    Also verify that the Host and AAO have IP addresses which can see each other, (IE start with the numbers).
    Google for all the details of setting Workgroup and determining IP address etc...

jerryt, Jul 8, 2009
  5. bigb

thoatt

Yes you can network though USB connection. BUT you need a very specific USB cable and software. the Windows Vista software transfer kit from BestBuy works, I had to use it from a friend and the computer had no ethernet port.
    Transfer the software from the CD to a usb drive, then install it on both machines. Right click on host machine's cd-rom drive and select "Share" then, go to "\\HostMachine" in windows explorer and then the CD-rom should be shown.

Alternately, if you have administrative shares enabled and an account on both machines, you can go to "\\HostMachineName\d$" in windows explorer and access the drive that way.

thoatt, Jul 9, 2009
  6. bigb

yachtpro

The cable and software you seek can be had on eBay. Search for USB Transfer Cable. It has a small electronic device built onto the cable and comes with the software. You need a pen drive or external CD ROM to load the software onto the Aspire One. Same program onto the desktop. Connect the cable and fire up both programs. You can sync the whole netbook to the desktop computer and then just transfer files or update files as you need to. I got mine off eBay from a seller in Hong Kong for around $12.95 shipping included.

yachtpro, Jul 15, 2009
Ask a Question