Using a UK bought Acer on holiday in Australia

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hopeful, Jan 1, 2009.

1. hopeful

hopeful

I am going on holiday in two or three months to Australia for nearly 4 weeks.
    I wish to buy a Linux based Acer for communication and some light web use and would like to know how straight forwards it would be to do this.
    I do not know how common public or hotel wifi hotspots are. Would I have to invest in 3G type dongles?
    Has anyone got their own experiences that they would be willing to relate?

hopeful, Jan 1, 2009
  2. hopeful

melhiore

Wi-Fi standard is one for whole world. If you can get an access to them (login/password) they will work w/o any problems. In terms of 3G dongle is always good to have them but be aware about charges for 3G data roaming downloads - they are much more expensive then normally in most of cases...

melhiore, Jan 1, 2009
  3. hopeful

hopeful

Thank you for your reply.
    I wonder what the practical experience of people holidaying in foreign parts with the Acer is?
    Regards,

hopeful, Jan 4, 2009
  4. hopeful

meng

Hotel wifi is very common in Australia now, and is often included for free, although if you stay at the more expensive chains they may charge you extra for the "privilege". Free public wifi elsewhere is much less common, although you could try McDonald's. As for travelling with an Acer, I think the hardware setup for the Acer is is pretty much the same worldwide (except perhaps the keyboard layout), no? And it takes a standard laptop power cord, and 100-240 V. So why should it be a problem?

meng, Jan 12, 2009
  5. hopeful

hoyin007

You will just need the travel adapter kit for the power.

hoyin007, Jan 15, 2009
  6. hopeful

hopeful

Thanks to meng and hoyin007 for their replies. My confidence is growing, especially after getting my new acer from Dixons two weeks ago.
    Only two months to go!
    Regards

hopeful, Jan 15, 2009
Ask a Question