Using a Windows share Printer?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by masonnj, Feb 27, 2009.

1. masonnj

masonnj

I've searched the forum but didn't find a solution, apologies if I missed it.

I'm trying to use my Samsung CLX 2160 that is connected to my main Vista PC and set to share. I can see all my shared folders and my NAS box on the AA1.

I did find a post about installing a Samsung CLX300 but the OP resolved that by installing a different distro, a bit drastic for me. :D

I had the same issue with foo2qpdl and solved it with the help of Google.

There are certain things missing from AA1 when it comes to the installed OS.

Part of the install requires that use the 'make' command, which the AA1 doesn't have, well mine didn't.

To install foo2qpdl do the following;

Open a terminal

$ su
    # yum install make gcc
    <ctrl d>
    $ cd Downloads
    $ wget -0 foo2zjs.tar.gz http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/foo2zjs.tar.gz
    $ tar zxf foo2zjs.tar.gz
    $ cd foo2zjs
    $ make
    $ ./getweb 300
    $ su
    # make install install-hotplug cups

Answer Y when asked and that should be that. :cool:

Now go to Settings > Printing

Add the printer and you're done.

Well actually that's a lie, at least in my case. I did the above to install my Samsung CLX2160 Colour Laser and it went well, right up to the point where you acctually try and print something! :oops:

My printer is connected via USB to my main PC, a Vista machine, and shared.

When I print on the AA1 I get a print job but for some reason it doesn't seem to be able to connect to the shared printer and actually print so I'm off to Google for some help.

If there's anyone who knows what my problem is and how to fix it please respond.

All help gratefully received. :?

Regards
    Nick

masonnj, Feb 27, 2009
Ask a Question