Using AVG

Discussion in 'Linux' started by AlanM, Apr 28, 2009.

1. AlanM

AlanM

I know that a virus checker may not be necessary with Linux but wishing to protect my Windows network I installed AVG 7.5 for Linux at www.brothersoft.com/avg-free-linux-47492.html . I can run tests and update the virus database by starting it at Run > sudo avggui.
    Now the problem, a test completes after less than a minute having tested 869 files (or 2529 if archives included). As Thumar reports that my file system contains 90,580 files this cannot be right. However I play with the few program settings available (heuristic analysis, process archives, default scan objects) I cannot get AVG to scan all the files.
    Has anyone managed to resolve this issue? Any suggestions gratefully received.
    I posted this yesterday and then deleted the post as I saw that AVG for Linux 8.5 had appeared on the AVG web site. I installed the RPM but could find no way to start it - and I tried hard using Thunar to search for all file names which included "avg". Now back with V7.5 and the same problem as above.

AlanM, Apr 28, 2009
  2. AlanM

Darryl

Darryl, Apr 28, 2009
  3. AlanM

AlanM

Good idea. I've posted my V8.5 issues there as that is their latest release for Linux and may be more useful in the long run. If I resolve the problems I will post a "How I did it" on this forum. There are two other posts on the AVG forum with similar issues with the new release.
    Alan

AlanM, Apr 29, 2009
  4. AlanM

AlanM

See the AVG Forum reply here http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?10,18 ... kpage=,sv= It seems there is no GUI for the new version of AVG for Linux and no manual for building command lines. The remark about running man avgscan was lost on me so I have uninstalled AVG 8.5 and will look elsewhere.

AlanM, May 15, 2009
  5. AlanM

inkbm

I'm in the same position with AVG, I have it seemingly successfully installed, but no idea how to run, scan or update. It's a condition of the university that there is a virus checker on the laptop before they will let it be connected to the network so need this sorted out.ll

I'd really appreciate anyone with better Linux knowledge than me to help me understand how to get it working.

inkbm, Sep 26, 2009
  6. AlanM

Darryl

Darryl, Sep 26, 2009
  7. AlanM

redbook

I completely agree avast is much more user friendly, easier to install and easily updatable.

redbook, Oct 1, 2009
Ask a Question