Using external (USB) webcam

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by dandan78, Mar 21, 2010.

1. dandan78

dandan78

Hi peeps.

Proper noobs question here and much as the initiated will hate it, I'll need to be spoon fed the answer :oops:

I want to use an external webcam on my aspire one (10", Vista OS)

I've done the whole plug n play bit but now I would like to know how to set this as my default webcam rather than the built-in one.
    Any chance someone would be kind enough to spoon feed me a step by step guide on how to do it?

Cheers all

dandan78, Mar 21, 2010
  2. dandan78

Swarvey Moderator

It basically comes down to the preferences set in the individual programs you use. In MSN messenger you will no doubt have to run the "Audio/Video Setup Wizard" in the Tools Menu. (Press ALT on the main MSN Messenger screen to access the Tools Menu)

Otherwise, probably the easiest way is just to disable the integrated camera. If you can let us know what operating system you use, then we can give you the information on how to do this. Basically goto Device Manager, right click the integrated cam in the list and select "Disable". There are different methods of accessing device manager in different editions of Windows.

*EDIT*
    Whoops mis-read your first post. In Vista it's easy to access the Device Manager.
    Click Start
    Type Device Manager in the search field and it should pop up at the top of the results
    Click on Device Manager in the search results to open it
    If you click the arrow next to Imaging Devices to expand it, you will see your integrated cam appear in the list.
    Simply right click on this cam, select Disable, click Yes in the following window, close device manager, voila, your integrated cam is now disabled, plug in your external cam and it should be the only one your programs see.

Hope this helps :mrgreen:

Swarvey, Mar 21, 2010
Ask a Question