Using linux grub to boot Windows XP from SDHC card

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Cyclone42, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Cyclone42

Cyclone42

I have an Aspire A110, with the 8G SSHD. I have Windows XP installed already, along with Mandriva 2009. (4G for each) I will likely soon be replacing Mandriva with either Ubuntu 8.10 or Fedora 10. Anyway, as long as I have a linux distro installed, I realized that I could use it to boot an XP installation from an 8G SDHC card in the left slot. I am somewhat familiar with grub, but I don't know exactly what I need to use to get XP running from the SDHC card. I was wondering if someone might have a grub entry to do this?

Cyclone42, Nov 23, 2008
  2. Cyclone42

partymonkey

Sorry, I believe on the Aspire Ones' you can't boot from the SDHC slot.

partymonkey, Nov 23, 2008
  3. Cyclone42

Cyclone42

No, you can't. That's not what I said at all.

I guess I'll have to spell this out very carefully.

I have a Linux distro installed on the 8G solid-state hard-drive (SSHD). (Currently Mandriva, maybe soon Ubuntu or Fedora, but that does not matter). That distro already controls booting anyway; it has a custom MBR for grub, and lets me boot either that Linux distro or XP, also on the SSHD. I want to install XP on a SDHC card, and use grub to pass the booting to the SDHC.

Grub boots from the SSHD, then boots the SDHC. This works; other people have mentioned that it does. I just need a grub entry to do it.

Cyclone42, Nov 24, 2008
  4. Cyclone42

lolknight

I'm trying to do the same thing, but boot linpus off a SDHC card... please post if you have any progress!

lolknight, Dec 28, 2008
  5. Cyclone42

desic

Re: Using linux grub to boot Windows XP from SDHC cardi

I have been doing some research into doing something similar ( I want to load Ubuntu NBR and Fedora 10 onto an SDHC card to try out.) However, I just got my Aspire a couple of days ago and I'm still playing around with Linpus before I attempt to load an OS on a flash disk.

Nevertheless, I found this post at a ubuntu forum that should provide all the details you need. It's not a full tutorial, but if you are familiar with grub it should give you enough to get going:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=981951

Enjoy!

desic, Jan 1, 2009
Ask a Question