using nLite to create XP for Aspire One

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by aspiredone, Oct 28, 2008.

1. aspiredone

aspiredone

Hi
    I am a newby and wish to use nLite to cut down XP so that it runs at a decent speed on my Aspire One. Unfortunately I haven't the expertise to know which elements of XP can safely be removed but still have the hardware running.
    Has anyone done a guide please?

aspiredone, Oct 28, 2008
  2. aspiredone

adrianaitken

Not wanting to sound rude or anything but why ?
    Install XP and see if it runs OK for you. nLite just cuts out the junk from the hard disk, it does nothing for the speed of XP. If you need to tweak after an install then switch off un-needed services and do the registry tweaks (both discussed on this forum - use the search function !! ).

adrianaitken, Oct 28, 2008
  3. aspiredone

speedmaster

I agree w/ Adrian. I would also be careful extraneous things you might install that sit in the system tray and run all the time: ebay monitors, several IM clients, digicam tools, etc. These will all slow your machine down.

speedmaster, Oct 28, 2008
  4. aspiredone

nmesisca

but if you want to give it a go, try www.nliteos.com
    all my PCs have been re-worked with it.

nmesisca, Oct 28, 2008
  5. aspiredone

aspiredone

your comments are interesting. I have seen many comments from users of microXP and tinyXP ( which I understand are essentially nlited copies of xp) saying that they run very fast. I must admit that xp seems to run slowly, particularly when using the internet. Also the sound on Skype is very quiet, echo ey and slow and I wonder if the machine is being overwhelmed by the processing required and this is causing the problem.

nmesisca, you say that you have used nLite. Do you have any tips on what can, and what cannot be removed, and the final size of your installation?

thanks

aspiredone, Oct 28, 2008
  6. aspiredone

Jaik

When using nLite it tells you what most of the things are, what they're used for and whether they're essential. It can be overwhelming but you'll get a lot of the benefits by just leaving anything that you're not sure about in.

Jaik, Oct 28, 2008
  7. aspiredone

nmesisca

hi there
    yeah i have used it last time not more then 2 weeks ago. Love it.
    You have to take your time with it tho, but once you find what works best for you, reinstalling can be fully automated, including joining a domain, creating users etc..
    The ISO I have made for use on my AAO is 318MB.
    I havent been over-cutting on the features as I use the AAO for dev under Visual Studio etc and dont want to break anything by mistake.
    The first thing I do is generally integrate the SP (either SP2 or SP3). The OS imho runs much better compared to installing the SP after the OS.
    Then it really depends what you want to create. An image that goes well on ALL your machines, but a bit larger? Or an ISO specific to a certain PC?
    If its specific (to the AAO in this case), I eliminate ALL the drivers from WinXP (all video/network/printers) and integrate the updated drivers I download on this forum or anywhere else you like.
    I generally also integrate the latest Java VM release, and the latest DirectX, both using the addons provided on nliteos.com.
    Last is tweakings and mods to the services list. I generally increase the max num of TCP connections possible, and remove installation requirements checks on both hard drive and memory.
    I also remove the indexing service, error reporting and a couple others I cant remember now.
    Note, I said I remove all printer drivers. Remember to keep the printing engine if you're planning to install your printer's drivers. I remove the engine only if I am creating an ISO for gaming.

hope this helps, shout if you have any questions
    N

nmesisca, Oct 28, 2008
  8. aspiredone

adrianaitken

Real world example -
    My Thinkpad (with a SSD in it), normal XP Pro - starts up in 15 seconds, has 15 apps running
    My AAO, TinyXP starts up in 25 seconds, 17 apps running.

The *only* benefit of TinyXP is disk space. Turn off services if you need speed.

adrianaitken, Oct 29, 2008
Ask a Question