using sdhc card

Discussion in 'Linux' started by algebraic, Sep 29, 2009.

1. algebraic

algebraic

I just put a 16gb sdhc card into the slot in my acer aspire one while it was turned on and it says:
    disc memory: 2.1 gb used out of 6.1 GB
    hd memory: 14.1 GB

How do I use the extra new memory? If I download stuff does it go into the original solid state memory and the when that is full, automatically into the hd card memory? Or do I need some command at the terminal to do this or to transfer files from the old to the new memory drive. Is I use a command cp , what do I type? Is there a way to move files to the new memory using the limpus Gui?
    thanks

algebraic, Sep 29, 2009
  2. algebraic

RockDoctor

Linpus is long gone from my A150, but as I recall, here's how it would work:
    Possibility #1: Left slot only (on the two-slot A110 and A150 models). Linpus should use the card's memory automatically, but the card must already be inserted when booting. The card's memory overlays and extends your SSD's memory. No copying back and forth should be necessary. However, if you boot without the card in the slot, bad things may happen (YMMV).
    Possibility #2: Right slot (A110 and A150) or left slot with other Linux distros (and possibly Linpus if inserted after booting; not exactly sure how Linpus would handle it). Memory on card acts as if it's on another drive. This drive is not bootable. You would need to explicitly copy files to/from this other drive. Can be done in a terminal window with the cp command or in the GUI using Thunar (the file manager).
    HTH

RockDoctor, Sep 30, 2009
Ask a Question