Using the linux Recovery CD

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Goldenballs11, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Goldenballs11

Goldenballs11

Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire One that doesn't load and the screen goes black (except for the cursor)

How do i use the recovery CD as i have not got a remote drive but do have a USB! Each time I try it it says that the drive is not bootable? What am i doing wrong???

Goldenballs11, Jun 20, 2009
  2. Goldenballs11

HappyH

Use another pc. Put the recovery cd & minimum 2gb usb flash drive in the other pc. Boot the other pc from the cd (change the order to boot from optical disk rather than hard drive). Follow the screen prompts to make a bootable recovery usb drive for your netbook.
    Boot the netbook again with the newly created recovery flash drive connected. Hit F12 to boot from the usb rather than the hard drive.
    I've just done this as I screwed mine's trying to put Win7 on so I can vouch for the procedure :D
    Good luck,
    HH

Apologies if anything ain't clear or I've missed a step but pretty sure that should work :eek:

HappyH, Jun 30, 2009
  3. Goldenballs11

graemev

graemev, Jul 7, 2009
  4. Goldenballs11

Natalie Portman

I think you can try Stellar Phoenix Linux Recovery software which can help you.The software is a powerful Linux Data Recovery tool that can recover data from Ext2, Ext3, Ext4 file system volumes created using any Linux distribution...Give a try may be it will help you as well....
    http://www.data-recovery-linux.com/

Natalie Portman, Sep 4, 2009
  5. Goldenballs11

asaki

i used this method and i created my USB.. but the thing is when i click next.. it just freezes do u know wuts going on?

asaki, Sep 15, 2009
  6. Goldenballs11

HappyH

You created your USB drive successfully? Then when you plugged it into the Aspire & booted (changing the boot order to 'look' for the USB drive first, nothing happens? Are you positive the USB drive was created properly, no errors?
    HH.

HappyH, Sep 15, 2009
  7. Goldenballs11

Arrow

I have had to use the Acer linpus recovery CD to create a recovery USB stick. The USB stick appeared to go through the recovery process on the A00110 but now it will not boot from HDD just get curser in middle of screen. Before this it booted fine, I attempted recovery because couldnt access any files from linpus from HDD or USB. Boots up fine (then and now) off Ubuntu bootable USB stick. Thanks for any help, Dave

Arrow, Oct 16, 2009
  8. Goldenballs11

Arrow

As an afterthought, how do I tell if USB recovery stick has errors? It appeared to do the job, but as I say now PC wont boot from HDD. I want to restore linpus as still under warranty, although actually prefer look of Ubuntu. :ugeek: Dave

Arrow, Oct 16, 2009
  9. Goldenballs11

Arrow

Sorted it, I think I removed USB recovery stick to early :D

Arrow, Oct 16, 2009
Ask a Question