various questions from a new Acer One user

Discussion in 'Windows' started by darshie76, Feb 2, 2009.

1. darshie76

darshie76

Hi everyone!

I've got this laptop last day, and so far i like it....except for some strange reasons, in the last 2 years i used macs, so i am kinda lost about the changes happened....

these are my questions, hoping that someone has some answers, or ideas about where to start to look :)

1) the bios is insydeH2O 0.3309; is this the latest bios?

2) the video memory is set to 8 mb, that is kinda ridiculous; how can i change the video memory since the bios doesn't let me do it? the macbook has the same chipset (intel 915) and works pretty good with old games and with XP in general while using it with XP via bootcamp, so i don't see why the Aspire one should underperform on the video side (i know that the macbook has a core duo, not an atom, but on the one even windows XP windows looks crap while moving windows around :D )

3) the restore software: i launch it and i can see only "restore" tab; it didn't asked me to create the recovery disks, nor i can create a backup of the actual state of the system (i've installed visual studio plus other software that i use commonly, so would like to save the system as is now); am i missing something? the partition was visible until i installed other software and updates for XP (and removed the useless google software, and the trial of office 07); but i didn't deleted any partition (in the xp disk manager i can see the hidden partition, but it doesn't show up in my computer, while it was showing yesterday)

4) can i save an image of the system on an external drive using this recovery software? or should i use Norton Ghost?

5) any suggestion for an extra battery so i can use the laptop longer during the lessons?

Thanks in advance for the help!

darshie76, Feb 2, 2009
  2. darshie76

Firo

Firo, Feb 2, 2009
  3. darshie76

ronime

I think the video memory is dynamically allocated by the Intel GMA driver, the BIOS "setting" is largely irrelevant.

I use the Windows Classic theme in XP so it doesn't particularly bother me, but I can tell you that Windows 7 runs on the AA1 in full aero-glass mode.

ronime, Feb 2, 2009
Ask a Question